ADAC.....

Drill

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
...well, they've got a good group of guys workin for them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif And I must say, for my first WEEK of membership, I've been treated quite nice. They were kind enough to pick me and my car up off the side of the road, and transport us both the 100kms to my dealer where my car is currently having the AC Compressor replaced. AS WELL AS.... getting a new belt and pre-tensioner pulley /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif Gotta say, I can laugh now, (until I see the bill this afternoon that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif) but if anyone was wondering why I was absent yesterday.... well, to be honest, I just couldn't bring myself to talk about it. After 3 DIFFERENT mechanics looked at my engine, and ALL of them saying, "it's OK to drive, but you'll want to get it fixed before the summer." (/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif) My compressor completely seized up at around 0700 yesterday morning, I had NO CLUE anything was wrong, until, going down the Autobahn, my Battery warning light comes on :smashfreak: OK, odd, I thought. My first reaction being that the engine stalled somehow, so I turn off the key, and then quickly restart the engine (@ 160 kph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) THEN it hit me, the engine WAS running /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif [censored]!!, must be the belt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Since I was right at my exit, I turned off the Autobahn and drove about 3kms to a nice, wide shoulder area. Hit the blinkers, got out the triangle, etc, etc. And POPPED THE HOOD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif Well, there was shredded and melted belt everywhere. Luckily, it didn't sever completely, so my hoses were all still attached, but there was a nice bit of smoldering rubber on my AC Clutch, and my pre-tensioner pulley was toasted. The ADAC mechanic and I figure if I'd have tried to drive the reamining 10kms to my workplace, I prolly could've caught the bitch on fire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Anyway, I'll be working the next 2-2 1/2 weeks for free, but I won't have to worry bout my compressor anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Just felt the need to share /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Doh !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sorry to hear that. Good thing you were right by the ausfahrt no? Whilst it's being looked at better get the other belts and things checked over (esp cambelt!!)

Thx Dude,
Yep, they're going over EVERYTHING!! Esp. since Dad went in in the afternoon for a service on A6 and raised a big fuss (W/out any of my knowledge btw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif) about how in the hell an AC Compressor can go THAT bad in just 3 years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif So the dealer is gonna "Warranty" the work and whatever's replaced, ON TOP OF paying a percentage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif (Which is gonna help ALOT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

Drill dude, that sounds a bit better.
Really cannot understand (like Dad) how things can go so wrong in just 3 years.
Good to hear that the dealers over there down south are reasonable....... mine has never even paid a single bolt or screw out of warranty.........

now just hope that the repair wont take too long....... (driving the polo again?)

Yup, in a Poo, but in Mom's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif As MY Polo prolly wouldn't like so much Autobahn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Acceleration seems to be only a concept /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But I can't complain, it got me to work and it's free /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

As for the dealer, they didn't give ME a thing, but Dad went in Bitchin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif and Wuh-Laa!!! (sp?) Got a percentage and a warranty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

What a bummer mate!!
Hope it gets fixed soon & with not recurring probs?

Glad to hear something good has come out though. It's always nice not to have to pay the full amount for anythying!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
PeterS3 said:
What a bummer mate!!
Hope it gets fixed soon & with not recurring probs?

Glad to hear something good has come out though. <font color="red">It's always nice not to have to pay the full amount for anythying!!</font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen Dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, she's been fixed, and we got the bill last night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Work that had to be done wound up being:
Compressor replaced,
Belt pre-tensioner replaced,
New belt installed,
AC service to include recharge,
As well as labor......

And guess the cost.....

.... Well, our bill was for €762 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif YUP!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif We figure the dealer footed the bill for a chunk because my Dad went in and "Commented" that a Compressor self-destructing after only 3 years isn't right, THEN there was a minor issue with Audi not reconnecting the air pump hose, so THAT led to "Comments" about their level of work, etc etc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Another odd thing is, since getting her back, my mileage has been much better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I mean, I went from needing on average 9.8-10 liters per 100km (28 mpg UK) to now hitting just 9 l/100km (31 mpg UK) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif So would that possibly indicate that the old compressor WAS INDEED putting a load on the engine, regardless of the clutch being engaged or not?

Hmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyway, thanks for all y'all's comments/advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I posted something similar in the MPG thread - did they change the A/C pipes as well? I assume they would have in the recharge of the unit - it's just that the old pipes will have mould in them and it's always good to have nice 'clean' A/C !!

And you're right about the A/C putting a load on the engine. Now that it's running 100% efficiently the engine power will be restored to the things that it's designed for - ie. making you go faster!! Which is nice...

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Another odd thing is, since getting her back, my mileage has been much better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I mean, I went from needing on average 9.8-10 liters per 100km (28 mpg UK) to now hitting just 9 l/100km (31 mpg UK) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif So would that possibly indicate that the old compressor WAS INDEED putting a load on the engine, regardless of the clutch being engaged or not?

Hmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyway, thanks for all y'all's comments/advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right.. My uncle had a knackered compressor and fuel economy increased greatly when it was replaced!

Glad you got it sorted!

Rich

Thx fellas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

What's funny is, I never really noticed the difference in mileage, as it only started to go down after chipping /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif So I just thought it was normal, but since we're pretty sure it was the compressor, that means that the AC's been messed up since JULY!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif