Uprated Brake Pads

nicks3

Reaction score
Has anyone fitted uprated brake pads (like Pagid fast road or similar) with the standard discs (and not upgraded the discs)? if so was there a noticeable improvement? Trying to work out if I really need to upgrade the discs ir whether just the pads will do.

i have got some green stuff pads all round (standard discs) on my A3 TS and there is a noticable difference over the standard combo. especially when warm.

Thats interesting. I used to have grooved EBC's but didn't like the grinding noise on braking so i had thought of going x drilled but really do wonder how much better they would be than the standard discs with decent pads. Also run the risk of cracks too. Decisions, decisions!

I believe that small cracks only really happen on drilled discs, but you can get cast discs like the good Brembos where the holes are already in the casting, so the strength and therefore integrity of the disc isn't affected by the holes.. ?

I would go for good cast x drilled but dont want to buy larger diameter discs. Anyone know if companies such as Brembo sell direct replacement x drilled discs?

I think Brembo have direct replacement x-drilled available. You could always go for a complete front brake upgrade using the Brembo GT kit - I think it's £820 or so - 4-pot calipers, x-drilled discs, pads etc..

Give JPR (John) a call at AmD.

Tone

Ouch £820 ........ dont wanna do that, they're not THAT bad!

Hehehe... damn I was working on getting a discount from John for my set for giving them a plug !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But seriously I think Brembo do direct replacements - still give him a call 'cos he'll be able to confirm/deny !!

By the way, fitting just a set of pads does improve the braking, namely by giving more bite and perhaps more feel. However you still get the same heat build-up and retention within the disc so you won't be improving brake fade by much at all - even though the uprated pads should tolerate higher braking temperatures.

IMO it's a good idea to improve the discs too.

Brembo list a sport crossdrilled replacement for the front of a TT and I've sent them an e-mail asking if they do rears too and if the holes are cast or drilled. I assume the front discs on a TT are the same as an S3 but have asked that too. Would think Brembo discs and Pagid fast road pads would be great.

Yup i'd agree. You might also consider getting replacement braided brake lines and uprating the brake fluid. Won't cost much to do, but for peace of mind etc etc..

I had Pagid fast road pads on my A4 1.8T, with std. discs. They were definitely a lot better and would bite hard when warm.

My only concern (as pointed out by the guys above) was that it would kill the discs if I pushed really hard. Certainly I could get to feeling it was damn hot, but the brakes still worked well.

They did squeal a bit at times, but as a cheap upgrade for occasional hard use, overall pretty good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've seen German and Swedish do Zimmerman X-drilled std size discs for the A3 TS for £40 each. Which I was going to try with Pagid fast road in the new year.

I can't complain with my EBC discs and pads all round, although I will agree with some that they do howl when hard breaking....not that I care as I actually like it.

EBC's were good, I just didn't like the noise!

I'll second that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously considering changing to Black Diamond ones (post is on here somewhere) - apparently they are as good as the EBC stuff but they don't howl - gotta be a winner in my book /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Alex, are you talking about the BD crossdrilled and slotted or just crossdrilled? I had thought about the tarox Sport Japan but again amd concerned at noise from slots.

Alex, thats amazing, I wonder why Ebc's howl and yet the BD don't. Wonder if the Tarox Sport Japans howl?

Right, Brembo do an OE size replacement front crossdrilled disc for the S3 for £170ish which you can aslo buy as a full kit with Ferodo pads too (I assume they would work just as well with pagids?). Trying to decide whether to fit the Pagid fast road pads to the standard discs and see how I get on or whether to just go for the front Brembos?

Nick - go for the front brembos too. Get the brakes sorted especially with winter here now. It's too important a thing to go half-hearted.