Thinking of putting my airbox back on...

LaSarthe&Back

Reaction score
I'm wondering about reverting to my standard air box over my induction kit. I want to get back towards the OEM feel, and especially when I get round to blinging the bay up.

It's a powertec SL1 stainless mesh filter, and when the engine is warm, I can imagine it holds quite a bit of heat. Also that heat conducting to the Forge TIP doesn't do it any favours.

Obviously I'll need to get a proper panel filter, but does anyone have any recommendations for which filter to go with and of how to mod the air box for the best flow?

Cheers!

Stock paper filter will flow 400hp!

Problem I have found wiht the oiled filters is if they get moisture in there, (ie cold air feed form low down on the bumper) they tend to rust!

Regular paper filter replacement is the best IMO. Not cheap though!

Stick to the standard airfilter, the known problem with oiled filters is damaging the MAF(Airflow) sensor, which buggers up your performance!

I've got a Green Cotton Panel Filter, makes a little extra noise over stock, but thats about it. Hopefully after reading the above it doesn't damage my MAF.

ran a Aftermarket filter on my audi a3 but after about a month i had no end of problmes now i have put the standard box back on it is running sweet again :icon_thumright:

jojo said:
the known problem with oiled filters is damaging the MAF(Airflow) sensor

Or is it just a myth?
MAF's brake on standard cars too.

Ive been using a cone filter on my Golf GTI-t for 4 years and never had a problem with it.

james0808 said:
Or is it just a myth?
MAF's brake on standard cars too.

Ive been using a cone filter on my Golf GTI-t for 4 years and never had a problem with it.
Possibly a myth, but apparently, a light film of oil onto the MAF = ******** power delivery, since there are little or no powergains with these aftermarket filters/cones, I'd stick to the OE panel filter. :)

Aky said:
I've got a Green Cotton Panel Filter, makes a little extra noise over stock, but thats about it. Hopefully after reading the above it doesn't damage my MAF.

Where did you get your green cotton filter from?

what are the k&n panel filters like? the ones that go straight in to the air box? any advantage over a standard one?!

M44 DUB said:
You can buy direct from green cotton

Cool, thanks. That's not a bad price. I thought from comments above, they'd be higher. Bookmarked!!

Cheers! :icon_thumright:

why dont you get a pipercross? i have one and its not oiled, you can buy these from awesome gti.

Are you saying you've seriusly never had any problems?

I want to put a cone filter on mine but was told by every1 on here to steer clear now you've said yours was fine its got me thinking.

Guess you can really hear the OE DV with the airfilter ?

J

i moved back to airbox with some mods. The stainless filter was pants IMO! casing came awar from the housing, barely stops sand going through let alone dust.

smoothed my airbox internally, removing all vanes and drilled a 2.5" hole in the bottom front corner with ducting to behind the bumper. much better

Have you had it remapped at all? What's your DV sound like?

I do like to hear it, but not at the expense of the life of my engine.

My K&N panel filter is spot-on

bought it from Awesome GTi about 6months ago and ive had no problems at all, sounds nice with a drilled air box.

As above - dont believe all you read on forums, if oiled filters ****** up MAFs K&N etc.. wouldnt be making them, theres hell of a lot of research and testing that go into these before theyre mass produced,

Ash

A3_Turbo said:
Are you saying you've seriusly never had any problems?

I want to put a cone filter on mine but was told by every1 on here to steer clear now you've said yours was fine its got me thinking.

Guess you can really hear the OE DV with the airfilter ?

J
Never missed a beat.
Dont expect any performance gains though as you will be disappointed,for me its all about the noise and as i have an AGU its got an atmospheric twin piston dump valve( also been on 4 years),sounds great.

I agree the oem filter feels more solid in a weird way, BUT I would still keep my CAI filter, check out:

http://00626e1.netsolhost.com/formoshun/s3/Air Filter.htm, this is my filter which is a K&N filter in a heat box to help with heat soak on warm days. I don't have it located at the bottom of the front bumper but in the oem spot with two cold air pipes feeding the filter, all seems to work fine, and I've had no problems with oil getting into the MAF. You just have to be careful once you clean and re-oil the filter that you don't put too much and you give it enough time to dry. hope this helps buddy :beerchug:

It has been proven by a Green Cotton supplier that the oil on the MAF`s are NOT from the K & N filter
I currently run the Pipercross one on mine and it is fine
I do high mileage 50k since mid March last year
40k I have had the filter in now , after replacing the MAF so that went on a standard car without ANY mods , so I dont think you can put it down to anything other than Bosch
But they are selling LOADS of MAF`s so would you uprate anything that is selling well? Mmm think not ;)
I have seen rust on the filters and that was a Green one on a MK4 Golf Tdi 150bhp , he had 2
The little bit of extra air should give a bit better throttle response , but the best thing is , you NEVER have to replave the air filter again
£28.00 + VAT for the Pipercross one , or £10.00 + VAT every 20k service , mmmmm think I have just about saved myself some money there
Oh and my fuel economy went up :sly:
Sarah