Faulty Electric Window

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
OK, whilst my car was having it's cambelt done, I had the drivers side window wound all the way down, then the battery disconnected for safety reasons. When everything was put back together and the battery re-connected, my window decided to get jammed on the way up, like it moved an inch up then dropped back down. I decided to take the doorcard off and push the glass up manually after I'd hit the up button, but it was tight, so the mechanic popped over with some silicon spray and sprayed on the rails inside the door and where the glass tracks on the window edges, so now it would go up and down on it's own, but really slowly.... is this a sign of a knackered window regulator?
The motor was running pretty hot at this point, so I put it all back together, and it's still working today, but seems slow, any thoughts anyone?

yeah that will be the regulator! also had this go on my last a3, quite easy to change, you gotta have a big pop rivet gun tho! think a regulator cost me around £60!

Jo - have you checked the plastic clips holding the wires to the glass. These can break meaning that the regulator is only pulling on one side of the glass. They are a couple of quid each to replace.

jcs356 said:
Jo - have you checked the plastic clips holding the wires to the glass. These can break meaning that the regulator is only pulling on one side of the glass. They are a couple of quid each to replace.

Hey I think this might be the problem, I heard a crack but couldn't find anything broke when the doorcard was off... I'll have another look when the weather clears up... thank god for climatecontrol huh.

door frame has to come off. the guide is useful, best to get someone to help so you dont damage anything and to help align it when you put it back together, took me about an hour and a half start to finish, very straight forward, juts mark up every bolt postion and wedge