USB VAG-COM Not Recognised by VAG-COM Software

MarkyB

Reaction score
The USB VAG-COM I ordered from eBay (alpha-bid) arrived in the post this morning. I've spent several hours trying to get it to work(*) without success. The adapter shows up in the device manager, but VAG-COM says "Interface: Not Found!" when I try to configure it :(

Have tried on my Desktop PC and Laptop, which are both running WinXP SP2.

Any tips on what drivers I should be using?

(*) I modified the VAGUSB.inf in the VAG-COM 409-1 software package that is installed to C:\Program Files\VAG-COM\ so that it would recognise the USB<->Serial interface on the lead; changed references of FAO2 to 6001 as the VAG-COM ones use a custom ID on their USB/Serial interface chip - probably to try to prevent you using a 3rd party lead ;)

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks for the tips guys, but VAG-COM is stubbornly refusing to chat with the USB lead. Grrrr.

OK.

I've uninstalled the VAG-COM software and the USB/Serial Port Drivers.

I've downloaded & installed the FTDI Virtual COM Port Drivers and assigned them to COM Port 4

I've downloaded and installed the 409.1s, 409.1us and 331.2-N versions of the VAG-COM software from http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/archives.html

but no luck. The lead is not detected on COM Port 4.

Bonus Question: my lead has an LED on the ODBII connector, should that light up when the cable is plugged in or being polled?

Cheers,

Mark.

Have you checked to see if it needs USB legace support in the bios. If there should be a light on it it might want some power

So to recap as I am not to sure what you have tried.

You have set the same comport (COM 1 - 4) settings manually in device manager windows XP and also in options in vag-com (COM 1 - 4 ) (not usb)

And when you press test it says “port does not exist. Interface not found !”

Have you tried switching com numbers to different ones.

I've tried it on COM Ports 2 and 4 (the others are in use) using VAG-COM 409.1s

The error message I get is

Port Status: OK
Interface: Not Found!

and it won't allow me to save the setting.

Cheers,

Mark.

“port does not exist. Interface not found !” this is a problem

“Port status ok Interface not found !” this is not a problem

You will only get Interface found connected to the car with the ignition switched on so the dash warning lights are active.

Edited to add: You can only save the settings once you have tested the interface connected to the car with the ignition on.

timps said:
“port does not exist. Interface not found !” this is a problem

“Port status ok Interface not found !” this is not a problem

You will only get Interface found connected to the car with the ignition switched on so the dash warning lights are active.

Edited to add: You can only save the settings once you have tested the interface connected to the car with the ignition on.

Nice one - I've had the same problem. I'll spec it out tonight:thumbsup:

It works! If only I'd tried it on the car I could have saved myself an afternoon's worth of frustration.

Cheers,

Mark.

An FYI to those with the alpha-bid VAG-COM lead; the indicator LED on it will light up when you plug it into your car :)