Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

buying a car with outstanding finance

Just rang up about an S3 and seller told me it has outstanding finance on it.
    If i wanted to buy it how would it work? has anyone ever done this? Sounds a bit risky to me..
    cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Beep-Beep!

Status
    Make the cheque payable to the finance company and then ask for conformation to be forwarded on to you, that's what i have done in the past

Mike
    Mike

Neutral

Status
    sounds like a plan, trouble is its a fair drive, so if I want it I need to pay cash and drive away. Cant see he will let me have it with an uncleared cheque..
    cheers

Brum brum

Status
    The important thing to do is to make sure the finance co get the money.

You give him cash, he disappears, finance co still have legal title on the car because there is still part of the debt outstanding. They can reposses it from you as you have no legal title to the car. If that happened, you'd have to take the seller to court to get your original money back - assuming you can find him.

TBH I'd keep looking
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Neutral

Status
    I guess if I could make a visa payment over the phone, that might work?

4th Gear

Status
    What I've done in the past is get two bankers drafts drawn up, one for the finance company based on the settlement letter I was shown (confirmed by me on the telephone too), and another for the balance to the seller.

On the day of pick up, I gave him his draft, and then in front of him I put the finance company draft in an envelope and we both went to the post office to send it Special Delivery.

If the seller won't agree to some similar arrangement that suits you both, then I agree, walk away.

The credit card payment over the phone might work too, but they'll probably want fees to do it that way, so make sure you knock it off what the seller is getting!
    Audi S3 - 2002MY - Denim Blue - Gone
    VW Polo GTI - 2011MY - Candy White - Here

Aky
    Aky

Status
    There shouldn't be a fee for paying by Debit Card. Credit Card fees vary anywhere between 2-5%

Reverse Gear

Status
    if you want the car that badly,

make a trip to the bank with the seller.

for 20 make a CHAPS payment for outstanding amount to finance co and send the remainder to sellers Bank A/C.

As the seller is with you he can sign receipt to prove payment aswell as its is done from bank account you have physical evidence.