How are number plates fixed to the bumpers?

comdw

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Getting new number plates soon and I wondered how they were fixed to the bumpers - is it just double-sided sticky foam pads? Do I need to get any special strength ones to do the job?

I used the double sided 1mm foam pads and they work a treat as long the bumper and back of number plate is clean and dry.

The pads are designed for exterior use (water resistance). You can get them from places like Halfords etc...

It is now illegal to stick your number plates on. All number plates should be screwed on.

[ QUOTE ]
Wish said:
It is now illegal to stick your number plates on. All number plates should be screwed on.

[/ QUOTE ]
Never knew that!

Its not illegal, sorry to disagree as audi always fit plates with double sided tape.

If you want some go to your local audi dealer and if your one of the types that get treated properly then they will probably give you a roll of green double sided tape which is so strong it will take you days to get off.

Dave

I can not believe that double sided plate tape is illegal. I is used and sold by loads of people/companies.

Oh yeah.........I agree that it is a pain in the rear end to get it off!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif "Come off you BASSTTTAARDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD" There we go. Sorry for language, its the only way I could show it.

Dave

comdw, you can get some really strong stuff from A1 up at cox green. only problem is if you don't get it straight first time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

thanks everyone, i'll make sure i don't rush the job...

You serious, they are screwed on my car! When I picked it up both plates (front and rear) were cracked, because some bloke didn't put a washer behind it, they then replaced them and screwed them back on.

Double sided sticky pads doesn't sound right you may as well use blutack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Well my rear is screwed on and the front is stuck on so I guess it depends on the dealer. The front one looks a hell of a lot neater IMO but I'm not having new plates made up just to tidy things up.