Pirelli P6000's

Dave B

REALITY?.... WHERE AM I AGAIN?.... WHO AM I AGAIN?
Reaction score
I thought I share my experience on these tyres before they are removed from the car,

I picked up my 03 S3 on Wednesday morning :jump: and all was good apart from it needed 2 fron tyres, so after a few miles of understeer tastic i had them changed an a nice set of conti sportcontact 2's fitted on the front, big change next to no understeer, anyhow I thought the lack of grip from the pirelli was down to them beeing low on tread,

not so I can now kick out the rear end of the car at will, they are dreadful :motz: . Lat night I turned it at a reasonable speed and the back end just stepped out, a good friend of mind in the passenger seat was astonished at the difference :wtf: .

In short the pirreli 6000's will be removed next weekend in favour of a pair of Contis for now, I like the car too much to risk breaking it.

Hope this helps
Im on standard 17" 225/45/17

Hope you dont drive your car alot tho mate, conti's last about 20 miles - grippy tho

Ill let them off for the grip level, cheaper than a new car :icon_thumright:

if you only change on axels tyres your really supposed to put the new tyres on the rear of the car to stop the rear stepping out and so on...
I put two new one's the front of mine as they wore out about 50% quicker than the rears but didnt have any rear end issues

I think front tyres as a rule wear quicker than the rears as that is the business end of the cars - steering. But it's all down to how you drive the car I guess. What is OE for S3's running standard Avus rims? I picked my S3 up on Saturday and they put two new P6000s on the front and left decent tread P6000 on rear. Seems to drive fine to me (except that it is pulling to one side - rods or 4 wheel alignment needed. Waiting for the company I bought it from to provide me with their 125 check list to see what they did and didnt check...)

I think p6000's are the default tyre from Audi.
There must be a very good reason why Audi use P6000 for this car, and I'm sure they've done plenty of R&D over the best tyres. So I've stuck with using Pirelli P6000's for the past 3 years. No issues with the side stepping out.

Usually the car loses traction on all 4 when i really go for it....

That's my way of thinking. Companies can improve on tyres from OE stuff but I think simple rules such as same brand all round need to be followed. OE stuff is always going to be good unless manufacturer got it wrong - rare but does happen.

An upto date experience of this is with MGF's. My girlf has one and OE equipment are Goodyear's GSD3. Goodyear have these on back order and they only fit the MGF. If you put anything else onto an MGF it gets very skittish indeed. We have Pirelli P-Zeros on the rears atm and they seem to be just about doing the job but defo have to go back to OE as soon as.

Mmmm, I reckon the reason people (including Audi) fit them is that they are cheapish tyre from a premium brand. Not necessarily because they are good.

icenutter said:
Mmmm, I reckon the reason people (including Audi) fit them is that they are cheapish tyre from a premium brand. Not necessarily because they are good.

having worked with car manufacturers on projects this is more than likely the case does it fit the bill technically, will it suit 90% of buyers, is it the right price, are the brands compatible.

Also if anyones interested in my pirellis based on what youve said let me know they are allmost new, but obviously just not for me!

Have you tried the Pzero?

I heard that if you run new on the front with out replacing the rears, it can effect the diff! I do not remember the difference in tread depth between the tyres (made more than 3mm), but was recommended to change the rears soon after i replaced the fronts.

I have the GSD3s on mine and have to say they are better than the Dunlops it had originally!

Id second the P Zero Rossos, had them on my Golf and it was amazing the difference they made!

Had some P6000's on front of my Bora and they were useless in wet, and not great in dry, have Eagle F1's now, perfect!

Michelin Pilot Sport II's are good too!

I really like the continantals and am a great fan of the toyo Proxes on the MK5 R32 and cayenne ive been using lately

I use P6000s too - not noticed any problem with them. Not sure I could tell the difference between tyres anyway though.

My S3 came with Bridgestone Potenza RE040s on 17" AVUS. They last well, even with spirited driving and hard cornering, but they ain't cheap and can bit a bit noisy (harder compound).

My old neighbour had them on his Lotus Elise (exactly the same size tyres), looked kinda funny with the cars parked next to each other; wish I'd taken a photo :D

Cheers,

Mark.

Mine is an 07 plate, 17" alloys, and has Dunlops as standard