Symphony Vs Concert - whats the difference?

Spacecowboy

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm stuck on the above what are the differences?

As i understood it, Concert was tape only with option to have 6 CD changer in the boot.
Symphony 1 is single CD in dash with option to have 6CD changer in boot
Symphony 2 is 6 CD in dash.

Is this right? I am referring to facelift cars (and more specifically anything from 2002.)

Reason I ask is that dealers seem to use Concert and Symphony interchangebly within adverts. Of course anyone can see what it is by the markings but i dont have the time to run around them all;)

er...mines a Concert II, and is a single CD in dash.
Youre right about Concert I, tape player.

One of the Symphony's is double din, and I think, has both CD and tape.
Somebody will know though in a while Im sure....

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure it fully answers the question - perhaps as it is primarily aimed at American market - but goes some way to explain. Cheers

Ok, I think I MAY have worked it out - someone tell me if I am right:

Concert 1 = Tape only (option of 6 CD in boot)
Concert 2 = Single CD only (option of 6 CD in boot)
Symphony 1 = Double Din Single CD/Tape (option of 6 CD in boot?)
Symphony 2 = Double Din 6 CD in dash/Tape

Spacecowboy said:

Yep looks right (thats what the web page says anyway!).

Only reason I doubted the web page is that the Cconcert 1 pic looked old?

In that case, is it relatively easy (if not astraight swap) to upgrade from Concert 1 to Concert 2? Both being single DIN and still have functionality of the boot changer and multifunction steering wheel?

As long as your car uses CAN bus, should be a simple swap in, swap out...

Spacecowboy said:
In that case, is it relatively easy (if not astraight swap) to upgrade from Concert 1 to Concert 2?

If your car is a 2002 why would you have this stereo??

Thats what i have im mine, its concert 1 (though it says concert II on the sticker). i have the 6 disk changer in the boot.

Thast why I want to know which it is - thats why I said the one on that website looks old (or more accurately, wrong). Are you suggesting you can only get Concert 2 in the model of my year?

yeah mine says that too mate, i want the sat nav inplace of it though hehe

Likewise. Shame it would do away with the BNS nav I have in it atm. One of the guys from here quoted £1145 to do the dash conversion from single to double DIN, supply and fit the new nav screen unit. Money i dont have after buying the car. Dont know how easy it would be to do it myself either. I wonder if its easier to retrofit the older sat nav unit applicable to this year of car? Anyone know?

Spacecowboy said:
Thast why I want to know which it is - thats why I said the one on that website looks old (or more accurately, wrong). Are you suggesting you can only get Concert 2 in the model of my year?

for the 2002 02/52 as far as I am aware unless you have the sat nav you should have either

or

Spacecowboy said:
Likewise. Shame it would do away with the BNS nav I have in it atm. One of the guys from here quoted £1145 to do the dash conversion from single to double DIN, supply and fit the new nav screen unit. Money i dont have after buying the car. Dont know how easy it would be to do it myself either. I wonder if its easier to retrofit the older sat nav unit applicable to this year of car? Anyone know?

as far as I know the nav is double DIN and difficult to fit if you only have a single DIN, you will need to move the climate control and allsorts.

Spacecowboy said:
Dont know what that is! Its 2002 with BNS sat nav if that helps...

You should be fine as all face lift models use CAN bus...

Sweet thanks all. I think I might shelve the sat nav screen idea and use the BNS. And if the head unit is already a single CD and not tape as suggested, then I will leave that too.

Spacecowboy said:

theres a symph 3 also.......

Lol just to confuse matters! Anyway, got the car now and it says Concert but it is CD player. So don't know where the Concert '2' bit comes from but just glad it isnt tape!

Concert 2 is just the name given to differentiate it from the tape only Concert. It doesn't actually say Concert II on the unit itself. Likewise with Symphony I & II