S3 rattling noise from passengers side

Mike.M

Reaction score
Hi,

Got an annoying rattling noise from passengers side of the car when going over bumps. It sounds like it is coming from the seat area. I have had a bit of a play to see if anything is loose there, but with no results!

Any ideas people?

I had a rattling on the passenger side of my car, and it turned out to be a biro in the glove compartment.

I've also had squeeks from occupied seats, and these were cured by a liberal application of WD40.

Dan

I've had rattling from the passenger head rest. Took me ages to figure out what it was. Try holding the head rest when it rattles and it should stop if it's that. I haven't managed to completely eradicate it yet.

Yeah, I get a driver's headrest rattle and it's a real pain. Might try putting some insulation tape round the rods (and between the notches) to see if that makes it a better fit.
I had the biro thing too - a plastic rattly vibration sounding like it was coming from the centre console - turned out to be a click-pencil in the glovebox.

After about a year of wondering where it was coming from, my passenger side rattle was the electric window motor rattling on it's frame, which is attached to the door frame itself. I cable tied the motor to the frame and now it's fine. I have some pics at home if anyone wants it.

Cheers

Ben

That would be great Ben as I am going to dynamat the doors so I can try that at the same time.

Thanks everyone for your input and keep the ideas coming in as the check list it growing!

I need to replace the electric window motor on my A3 - how did you remove the door panel to get at the motor?

cheers
steve