popping out of 5th gear, anyone else??

nky_84

6th Gear
Reaction score
Im rarely in 5th, but when i am, it occasionally slips back into neutral under decelleration. This was picked up by the previous owner, and the garage said it was overlubricated or some crap.

I dont think its a problem with wear, more a problem with not being used enough!

anyone else get this or heard of it?

over lubricated!! Obviously not as well lubricated as the previous customer's backside when the garage shafted him!

I can only suggest it be due to engine/gbox movement, meaning the cables move and pull it out of gear. Otherwise it could be some wear on the synchro rings in the gbox?

Is there any shunting under hard acceleration, or braking? Is it worse if better if you brake hard?

previous owner was a women, think they saw her coming....

I cant see it being synchro wear, especially in 5th. I think under hard braking/accelerating its better, but not fully tested it.

Its normally due to wear in the gearbox, and its normally the synchro rings like Simch says, I have seen it on a fair amount of different cars, and it doesn't matter what gear it is.

jojo said:
5th is one of thos gears I rarely use in my S3, infact, I sometimes skip it and shift from 4th to 6th

yup, i do the short shift from 4th to 6th and i think the previous owners did this too, and thats why it happens imo. i guess it could be the linkage and its most ******** at the angle that 5th needs.

Synchro rings problem doesnt make sense to me, their function is to match the speed of a slower cog to that of the faster one (changing into gears, not out) 2nd ring going is common but ive never heard of it going in higher gears.

Think i'll juist put up with it as im rarely in 5th anyway....

i had a similar problem with third gear and it started after i had a bigger turbo intake pipe put on for my turbo upgrade. they had to take the three inch rubber one off and made an ally one so worth looking to see the linkedge is clear or does not need adjusting