rumbles over bumps

benk

Reaction score
I get an annoying deep rumbling sound from the front of the car when travelling over uneven surfaces - sounds kind of like something big is a bit loose and is grumbling about the bumps.
Could the cause be something like suspension, wheel bearings, or something else?
(I'm thinking part of it might be cold rubber on the suspension bushes making it more noticeable in these freezing temperatures, but it does it after many miles as well).

Also, I get a squeak from the front wheels sometimes, when reversing slowly, or turning a sharp corner very slowly - almost like the brakes are rubbing slightly. Any ideas why I get this?

Thanks in advance,
B

No, it's not that - I glanced at that the other day, and the noise is "deeper" than that - more of a low rumble, like something bigger is involved - it's probably something like cold suspension or slightly loosened suspension or bearings, and the sound being amplified through the body of the car.

It could be the track rod ends, I know the S3/A3's are renowned for then wearing. Mine has had then replaced twice (under warrenty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

Can you feel it through the steering? Either that or faulty shockers maybe.

check your bushes on the wishbones as i had the same problem

Can't really feel it through the steering, but I was half-expecting someone to say track-rod ends.
I have the 70k service coming up pretty soon, so I'll add those checks to the list.
Thanks guys.

I have a similar problem and the local dealer found out that it is the track-rod ends, inner ones. Mine has 75k km on it (around 50k miles).

When car not running, rock steering wheel guickly from one side to the other a few times(say about 1/4 turn total). This will show up any steering related rumbles coming through the bulkhead.

Racks and trackrods can wear on these cars and is a good simple test to see if you can hear any play.