Heatsoak

Dave_Bayern

Slipping at 3.5Krpm
Reaction score
With the recent good weather are any other 1.8T owners noticing massive powerloss due to heatsoak?

I park my car in an area where the sun shines all day, the drive to work to fine, with the car acting as per normal, on the past few days, with the weather, I have noticed vastly decreased power available on the way home.

The only reason I can think of to explain this is that maybe the intercooler gets too hot in the sun and is already very hot before I even start the car up.

I'm thinking it might be time to get an uprated side mount intercooler or a frount mount.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Dave

Car sucks in warmer air, so doesnt put out as much power - i dont think a different intercooler would really help, if its any consolation everybody will be down on power

rodenal said:
Car sucks in warmer air, so doesnt put out as much power - i dont think a different intercooler would really help, if its any consolation everybody will be down on power

Everybody will be down on power when it gets hot but a FMIC will help as you wont loose as much.

I'm thinking I need to do something about it, as the two major events I have going on this year are bound to be hot, I have Donnington in mid June, and then Nurburgring mid August, so I might investigate aquamist, which can be bought for £300 off the eBay...

Does the water have to be squirted onto the Intercooler or into the intercooler?

If all it needs is onto the intercooler could a quick fix not be achieved using the windscreen washer bottle and the existing pump

No, water under pressure (3-6 bar) is squirted directly into the air intake, thus making the being taken into the engine cooler.

Washer pumps and also Eheim pumps etc do not have the necessary power to provide the pressure needed.

Aky said:
Does the water have to be squirted onto the Intercooler or into the intercooler?

If all it needs is onto the intercooler could a quick fix not be achieved using the windscreen washer bottle and the existing pump

You can spray water onto the intercooler to aid cooling.

james0808 said:
You can spray water onto the intercooler to aid cooling.

Yeah but why would you? on a normal system water IN the intake as per aquamist thats would be way more efficient, it would cool more, and make better use of the water.

As it turns out, I have just spoken to a friend who personally knows the guy who owns ERL, makers of aquamist, so I think I know what I'll be doing...

Dave_Bayern said:
Yeah but why would you? on a normal system water IN the intake as per aquamist thats would be way more efficient, it would cool more, and make better use of the water.

As it turns out, I have just spoken to a friend who personally knows the guy who owns ERL, makers of aquamist, so I think I know what I'll be doing...

Its cheaper and its more effective than not having any water near the intercooler. I think its worth looking into even as a temporary measure. How much for the Real McCoy?

Dave_Bayern said:

Personally i would fit a FMIC and a water spray system.I have used this set up before and it works really good.

At least if you run out of water you still have a big intercooler up front.
You can buy the parts to custom build your own FMIC and a boost pressure switch off ebay for less than £275.
You can put an override switch on the spray system to cool the intercooler before you put your foot down too.

Dave_Bayern said:
on a normal system water IN the intake as per aquamist thats would be way more efficient, it would cool more, and make better use of the water.
I wasn't saying use the aquamist system to spray the intercooler.I used an old windscreen washer bottle off a fiesta(i think) and just used the pump that was fitted to it.Look how much water is put on your windscreen when you turn the squirters on,that really cools down the FMIC just before giving it some boost.

Hi all.

New guy on the forum from sunny South Africa! Been reading the forum for a while now and I must say, you guys rock! The info is really good here!

I recently decided to build a set of intercooler misters for the S3 after reading about it on the net. We experience some very hot weather here in SA and combined with our poor fuel quality, the S3 really suffers in the heat. It is a very cheap mod, only cost me about R200 (about 15 pounds)! Used a washer bottle pump of a Mk2 Golf, 2 misting heads and a timing circuit. It basically sprays the cooler for 2 seconds and then switches off for about 30 seconds and cycles.

Anyone here can post some pics for me? I've got a spreadsheet with VAG data showing the drops in intake temps. Managed to get a 16 degree drop in intake temps with the sprayers on!