S3 - retrofitting Sat Nav Plus to Sat Nav system

Spacecowboy

Reaction score
Hi all

Just registered to this site as i am picking up a late 2002 S3 this weekend - upgrading from my Mk2 Golf Gti I cant wait! Sad to see the Golf go though...

Anyways, the S3 has the Sat Nav system fitted from factory (one that appears just in front on the red LED screen). Few questions:

1) Is it possible to retrofit the 'Plus' system (and possibly the TV though not fussed) to this existing system without much bother?

2) Will i have to change alot of stuff or will I be able to maintain the GPS, for example, and integrate it?

3) Am i better off going for the new system as fitted to the new S3s?

The stereo in there is at the moment is the bog standard Concert RDS with 6 CD boot changer (BOSE of course ;-))

What are my best options?

Spacecowboy said:
What are my best options?

gratz on the S3, you wont find it as much fun as the MK2, but you'll be comfy!

as for the sat-nav, that really depends on your budget.

If money wasnt an issue (ahem) what would be my options?

Tempted to keep the Mk2 but got a 1275GT resto to finish so something has gotta give!

I've just been checking out another thread about sat nav install but that assumes no GPS in the first place. Can anyone advise?

in your case, if you were to install an RNS-D or E, then you'd be removing the current satnav anyway, so same the instructions apply. The only part you'd re-use would be the gps receiver, providing you can get the cable to the front of the car. The exisiting wiring may even hamper the installation.

Damn it doesn't sound good then. The system in the car seems pretty rubbish to be honest. Was kinda hoping that most of the gubbins were already in place that all was needed was the 'Plus' screen and dash housing...