Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    6th Gear

Status

clutch pedal problem

Noticed the other day that the pedal was feeling a bit funny and i heard a plastic clicky noise on one occasion. Went to get in the car tonight and the clicky bit of plastic broke off and now the clutch wont go up by itself. is this a common problem or has anyone heard of it?

Nick

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    just had a look an its the mechanism that holds the cable onto the pedal thats in bits (if it is cable operated??)

3rd Gear

Status
    Very common problem, its hydraulic by the way.

Usually the clutch pedal itself breaks (can be welded to fix and strengthen) due to a poor design fault.

I've just bought the necessary parts to fix in case it does go while im in Europe, sorry dont have them to hand to give you the part numbers but do a search and you will be rewarded
    Rarrrr! I'm not Lesdyxic!

There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't.

Clicky Here!

6th Gear

Status
    just taken the lower dash cover and clutch pedal off the car. The welds have indeed broken and the white and plastic clips have also broken. I can weld fairly well (advantages of mini ownership!) so im probably going to just reweld this pedal, especially if a new pedal should be welded too. I take it the black plastic bit goes on the square bit half way down the pedal for the sensor (whats this sensor for btw?) And the white bit goes inside the snapped metal cage thing to hold the master cylinder plunger.

Am i best buying the plastic bits from audi or do places like gsf and motor factors do them?

1 x mounting : 1H0721357 £0.55+vat (is this the white bit?)
    1 x stop: 1j2721332A £1.47+vat (is this the black sensor bit?)

Is there anywhere online where i can enter in these part numbers to find out?

Nick

3rd Gear

Status
    www.vagparts.com they were very cheap for all the bits
    Rarrrr! I'm not Lesdyxic!

There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't.

Clicky Here!

6th Gear

Status
    dunno if im just being dumb, but i cant find any of the parts on vagparts.

6th Gear

Status
    Just tried to fit all the parts back together and i can get it all in apart from the spring, any tips on how to do this, is there a specific order it should be done? Does the spring need to be compressed to go in?

6th Gear

Status
    managed to compress the spring with a couple of cable ties and cut them once it was in place, wot a **** of a job! Does anyone know if its ok to run without the top clutch sensor for a while until i get another? ( when the pedal broke it took the sensor plunger with it)