How to replace a Xenon bulb???

alecblack

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to replace the Xenon bulb? I have changed the side lights and the full beam before with some difficulty in the past as the black plastic covers just wont come out. How is it the bulb is removed? Do I turn the red plastic bit in a certain direction? I have tried but feel like I might break it by forcing it. Do the plastic covers need to come out as there is
hardly any room to move my hands.

cheers
Alec

Can anyone help me out here? I really dont want to put it in and pay a garage?

I can confirm it's tight just to change the sidelights, maybe a headlamp out job!?

Just remember to not touch the glass bit of your new Xenon bulb when fitting, of they won't last.

Instructions say:

removal:

1. remove headlamp.
2. detach cover from healdlight housing
3. unplug connector at gas discharge by turning anti-clockwise (as you look at the back)
4. detach retaining ring for HID lamp by turning anticlockwise
5. pull out bulb.

Fitting is reversal of removeal but:

1. lug at top of bulb holder must engage in recess of bulb
2. retaining ring can only fit in one position

thanks guys that what I feared, guess I will just need to book it in somewhere.

cheers

I've changed xenon bulbs on '01 A3 1.8T without removing the headlight unit. It's tight, but absolutely possible

i have changed mine on my audi s3(facelift) to mate with out taking the lamp out and it only took me 15 min in the dark!!! were you from mate as i could do it for you.
Andy

it is possible, but depends on which side needs replacing.

I did the drivers side Xenon bulb on mine with Headlamp in place. Was a bit tight but not that tricky.