HELP - disc retaining screw

S3_MCD

Reaction score
what size, metiric? both have sheared off at the hub face! Gonna have to drill them out i reckon - 3 hour job now got twice as difficult - doh!

Sorry, I've no idea on the size but I wouldn't worry to much. In reality that tiny screw is only there to hold the discs in place so the wheel is easy to put on. Its the wheel bolts that carry the load.

Get easy out, about £15, it drills into the screw, and has a left hand thread. It'll come straight out.
For future reference, removal is best done with a impact screwdriver.

Not sure on the replacement part, but someone will know. Its very rare for cars to still have them once they've had a few disc changes, as the only job those screws fulfill is to line up the disc and hub for easier wheel fitment, they are not a safety item.

Yeah i've drilled mine out on the last few cars i've had, just makes putting your wheel back on that little bit tricky. The audi's have been ok tho, just used a fairly flat screwdriver to get em out.

Yeah its only a locator, if you are clever, you can just dril the head off to remove the disc, then neaten up the "stub" to make like a little dowel thing, that will locate the disc on fitting and stop the thing rotating while you fit the wheel. It does the job ok, provided its neat and lets the disc sit flush.

I got new studs with my new disks sorry dont know the size but I ran one side without one with no probs for 6 months.

The brembo discs come with a new bolt, mine were bent at a 30 degree angle when I pulled them out was thankful for the new ones!

cheers and all sorted, managed to drill out and re thread the holes. Other than this little miss hap the fitting of the brembos has gone well