Another suspension question

S3 AD

Reaction score
Hi, I know S3 suspension has almost been done to death lately but I have another question.

I have started to notice the dampers being the week link in the handling especially over crests in bends, my S3 has just passed 50k & 6 years so bits may be getting a little past there best as well.

I have been reading the handling info on here which is great :) I am going to get the dampers and probably the ARB's changed, undecided on which but I can work that out from other threads.

How would a good damper say Bilstein B8 and upgraded ARB work with standard springs? Would the standard springs negate any improvements offered by a better damper and ARB? The reason being I don’t really want to lower the S3 as I go over some fairly bad roads but I do want an improved drive on the smooth stuff as well.

No arguments just opinions please :)

I would prefer not to, I have caught and scraped the front a couple of times at low speed though, and the roads just seem to be geting worse.

I think it would look a bit better lowered, but its not essential with 18''s IMHO.

Last reason being, I could avoid having to get adjustable tie bars for a while.

You may be better wiht the cheaper Streetline dampers form Bilstein on stock springs, or Koni FSDs.

But the B8 and -25 mil H and Rs is nice.