Broken exhaust = options ?

PMcG

Reaction score
Well due to driving down a few dirt tracks and badly maintained rural lanes I have managed to knacker my exhaust.

I've hit some deep ruts etc and noticed a "clanking" noise from the underside of the car and thought of two options suspension or exhaust.

Been down to my local ATS and its the exhaust , seems like I have broken the bracket/weld just after the CAT so the exhaust is moving freely until the bracket at the rear of the car, because its never had a new exhaust since new Ive been told by 2 places I need a new middle & rear section which will cost around the £170 mark.

So was maybe thinking of going with something different , I dont want to sound like a boy racer noise wise but just like the idea of a change, only thing different from standard spec about my car is an AMD OneClick so its a nice boring looking 1.8T sport no flashing bells & whistles.

I've read a few comments about Milltek and there seems to be some problems ?
Magnex and Powerflow look good but I'm a bit put off by the websites - very Saxo Pimp my cart look to them .........

Any comments/ideas or should I just stick to the dull original set up ?

If i were you mate i'd just get it welded, save yourself the money.

Dont listen to ATS etc, almost any exhaust hole can be welded.

rodenal said:
If i were you mate i'd just get it welded, save yourself the money.

Dont listen to ATS etc, almost any exhaust hole can be welded.

But it seemed like such a good excuse to spend some cash !

Nothing wrong with the Milltek systems for the 1.8T, you just need to fit them properly or they'll knock. Not an impossible job, just takes a bit of time and care.

A resonated cat-back system won't sound boy-racer, just a purposefull burble at idle and a satisfying sound on WOT. Not at all boomy when cruising, TBH below 4000rpm you won't know it's there.

If you don't want to get it welded, nip down the garden centre and buy some fencing wire, fairly thick but very malleable.

Just wire lock the exhaust to the bracket, sorted for about £1.

SB

I have a miltek without the centre box, not too loud and fits very nicely! Has got a nice sound when you put your foot down it!

PMcG, what the hell is going on in your sig...it looks like a bnuch of gay men throwing paint at each other.....

jonS3 said:
PMcG, what the hell is going on in your sig...it looks like a bnuch of gay men throwing paint at each other.....

You mean you don't recognise the Stone Roses?

obviosuly not :blush: I wouldn't know what any of them looked like, i'm only a young'un :superman:

jonS3 said:
obviosuly not :blush: I wouldn't know what any of them looked like, i'm only a young'un :superman:

Thats no excuse, they were around in the 90's

jonS3 said:

As mentioned it the Stone Roses , outstanding Manchester band from late 80's/90's , you must have heard of Ian Brown ?
Check out their 1st album amazing debut.

Photo was taken for an NME cover it was a reference to a dispute they had with their old record company when they took some pots of paint to the offices and wrecked the place.
Also a reference to their artwork for singles/album which John Squire the guitarist used to do - big Jackson Pollock influence.

Stone Roses Wiki

i've learnt something new, will have a listen