S3 Suspensions - which shocks/dampers?

MarkyB

Reaction score
Am in a bit of a dilemma.

S3, ~6 years old (from new) with original (Audi Stock) shocks and Eibach Pro Kit lowering Springs (F)25mm (R)20mm. 26K miles on the clock (I work from home).

Ride is now rather bouncy-castle, which is no fun when driving on Bristols appalling roads; pot holes, subsidence, sunken drain covers, patchwork quilt of tarmac over innumerable holes dug by the Gas, Elec, CableTV, Telephone and Water companies.

I suspect that the ARBs need replacing and that the Audi Shocks are getting a bit tired after 6 years.

Question is which shocks to go for? Bilstein Sprintline B8's are kinda pricey at ~£400, but they do a Streetline Kit (shocks + springs) for £200; I could eBay the Eibach's for a couple of £££s to offset the cost.

Will the Streetlines be up to the job of keeping my S3 on the road, or are they a false economy and I should spend the £££'s on the Sprintlines? Or are the Sprintlines going to be too harsh and require me to make a weekly appointment with a chiropractor?

My car is strictly for getting from A to B in safety and comfort with the odd bit of fun on a country lane. Zero chance of me taking this car on a track ;)

Cheers,

Mark.

I've seen Koni FSDs recommended for road use a fair bit :) Cost wise about half way between the 2.... :)

I would not skimp on the suspension compnents if I were you. If you fit them yourself its one thing,but otherwise the labour alone for fitting is as much as a cheap damper kit, so may as well fit as good a one as you can afford! Less chance of having to change it then later on!

I will pick my car up with its billies B8s and HRs later today.....!

Has anyone run Eibachs with the Bilstein B8's?

I'm happy to spend the money if the ride is worth it, but I'm not looking for a track-hard setup with the bumpy roads I'm going to spend most of my time driving on.

Cheers,

Mark.

Whilst I don't have an S3, I can thoroughly recommend the combination of Eibach sportline springs and Koni FSD's. They've transformed my car, and I look forward to bumpy roads and corners now! :)

Think you'll find if you search on this topic the best shock and spring setup is clearly:

Bilstein shocks with H&R springs.

Have to say just on the springs front, H and Rs are just far better developed than Eibach versions, certainly on the Golf 4 variants. Tried both with the same dampers, its truly incredible how much better the -25mil H and R springs are to their equivalent Eibachs! They are springs ***, but for some reason the H and R stuff just works better!
If you shop about you can get the H and Rs for about £130.
I got my Billies for £380+vat. So overall, whilst not exactly cheap, its not that much more than Koni FSDs and Eibachs...

MarkyB said:
Has anyone run Eibachs with the Bilstein B8's?

I'm happy to spend the money if the ride is worth it, but I'm not looking for a track-hard setup with the bumpy roads I'm going to spend most of my time driving on.

Cheers,

Mark.

Yup, I have B8's with Eibach springs, but I fancy a change to H&R springs at some point, as I'm not happy with the way the car sits on the Eibach... it's like only 5-10mm lower up front, and I wanted a 20-25mm drop over standard!

Jojo, did you need adjustable tie-bars and/or a camber-kit to be able to set the tracking properly?

Cheers,

Mark.

MarkyB said:
Jojo, did you need adjustable tie-bars and/or a camber-kit to be able to set the tracking properly?

Cheers,

Mark.

I haven't yet fitted the tie bars to adjust the rear camber, but running 19" wheels, I can see the increase in wear on the inner edges, and at £450 per set of tyres, I'm going to invest in the tiebars(I'va also considered the adjustable camber kits) at some point to save myself £££'s in the long run...
I will probably get the H&R springs done at the same time, just a matter of finding time and money to do it at the end of the day, as it's become more of a weekend project than a daily driver of late.

OK Guys, the best deal I kind find on Bilsteins is the B12 kit for ~£485 which includes H&R Springs (yay!), does anyone know if that kit is B8's???

Cheers,

Mark.

Looks like I'm leaning towards the B8's and some Powerflex Bushes. Am fretting over the adjustable tie-bars :-|

MarkyB said:
Looks like I'm leaning towards the B8's and some Powerflex Bushes. Am fretting over the adjustable tie-bars :-|

B8's, H&R springs, and tiebars are what you need. I never liked the way the car handled when it was just lowered as it was too twitchy without the tiebars. The powerflex bushes are nice to have but they'd be a lower priority for me.

I t5hink the B8 dampers are what you need the B12s are for std ride heights I think...?
B 8s have shortened piston rods and suitable for shorter springs.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

I'll be dusting off my credit card in a couple of weeks for a set of B8's, Powerflex Bushes and adjustable tie-bars; I already have a set of Eibach Springs. Hopefully the improved ride will distract me from the sense of impending dread when when credit-card bill arrives :ohmy:

Cheers,

Mark.