Another new S3 owner to join the ranks.

Effect

Reaction score
Hi folks just got my S3 last Thursday.

Its a great car I am very happy with it so far.
Black Y reg with half blue alcantra half leather and 90k on the clock.

I have been reading a few posts in here about uprating suspension and brakes making a massive difference to the car.
My plan is to eventually get it remapped so uprating suspension and brakes should also prove worthwile doing.

What are the main mods that you lot reccomend and how much are we looking at for each one ?
There are so many conflicting posts in this forum i thought i would ask for an up to date opinion.

Also it has a problem with the ECS/ABS lights coming on when pushing it hard past 50mph these normally clear when the car is turned off and back on again i have spoken to the garage I bought it from and he says he knows what the problme is (I had the ECU read) it appears to be a g-force sensor (actual code read came up with longitudinal accelerometer sensor) he says there are 2 of them and he will order the 2 sensors and post them to me (i agreed to get them fitted myself as he reckons its only an hours job). Does this seem right or am i likely to have something else go wrong as well soon?

Thanks James

Congratulations on the new car!
I think everyone has a few little niggles with them, its nothing unusual!

They're great little cars, really love mine!
As for mods it seems like you already know the basics..
Suspension - People recommend Bilstein shocks with either Eibach or H&R springs unless you want coilovers but much more £££!!
ARB kit - H&R again i think most people go for
Brakes - Brembo GT kit or Porsche callipers are favourites i think
Alot of the guys on here say the remap is the most important, pushing you up to about 260/270bhp but ive decided to do the suspension and a few small engine mods before i go for the remap, just to i can have it set up to the mods ive done.

Hope this helps

Enjoy!
Ash

I think people could argue whether the remap, the ARBs, decent springs and dampers or decent brakes make the most difference... :)

I've found the remap and the ARBs about the same for the "jesus it feels like a different car" effect :)

I dont think i would be changing to bigger brakes.
I wouldn't mind changing to better pads and grooved disks on the front though.

Also prices ? how much does all this lot cost ?
I have just about skint myself to buy the car so dont want to go crazy.

Will the ARBs on there own make a big enough difference or do you guys reccomend changing springs etc as well ?

the main reason i changed springs was for lower ride height with the 18's

PM DPM on here mate, he will sort you out good prices on everything

ash

ash has got it right. only think i want to add is, if you're looking for coilovers, stay away from the bilstein pss9s. not happy with them at all.

Get your garage to fix the car, if he knows it has a fault he should have told you about it or fixed it!

Have you seen the fault code come up on vag com, or did he tell you it was what came up.

Hope you soort it, dont change just springs, do dampers too and the brakes are not really it to spirited driving!

he did tell me that the fault had come up once before and he hadnt been able to get it to repeat.
He was telling fibs slightly as when i rang him back about it he knew exactly what the fault was and how much the sensors were.

I would get him to fix it except i cba to drive back to where i got it from so he is buying the parts and i will either fit them myself or get someone to do it.
they are apprently dead easy to fit and he knows where they both go inside the cockpit.

It will be quicker to fit them than drive up to get this guy to do it for me.

any rough ideas for all these mods btw ?

I have clued myself up about chipping prices. theonly query I have on chipping is this, who is the preferred company on the forums ?
I see Revo technik and AMD pop up quite often.

Effect said:
Will the ARBs on there own make a big enough difference or do you guys reccomend changing springs etc as well ?

yes and no....

I found uprated ARBs made a massive difference to body roll and steering feel.. but it makes the car more springy... to solve that you'll want uprated dampers. All the people who say "upgrade it all at once" about the suspension are right... (just not all of us have the readies available all at once..).