how many miles for £20?

leonski

Reaction score
could anyone tell me roughly what sort of milage you get for £20 petrol?
currently driving an impreza uk turbo and thinking of a change, would be nice to get cheaper running costs. I get 100 miles on average but can be less if i get carried away.

I have recently changed from an STI PPP to an S3 and believe me the S3 is a load cheaper to run. I am averaging 27mpg around town, lucky to get 20 in the Impreza.
Nik.

leonski said:
could anyone tell me roughly what sort of milage you get for £20 petrol?
currently driving an impreza uk turbo and thinking of a change, would be nice to get cheaper running costs. I get 100 miles on average but can be less if i get carried away.

Get about 100 to 110 miles out of £20 but that depends on how empty the tank was when i filled it and whether you use 95 or 98+ ron?

If i drive reasonably sensible (with the odd mad half hour) i get arond 140 miles out of my £20. And thats in a 2.8 A4 quattro. Funnily enough, my MPG got better when i ran it on 97/98 ron. Did drop to around 24 with 95 ron and 29/30 with 97/98.

I had an impreza turbo before my S3. Both had been remapped, so like for like comparison.
Always averaged 23mpg in the scoob, but seem to get 27mpg in the S3.

(thats mostly 10 miles commuting to work each day, with maybe 50 miles or so at the weekends)

On a long run you'll see 32 mpg easy with the S3. Travelling at 100mph all the way back from the Ring to Calais last year saw 35mpg.
The Impreza would have been lucky to break 28mpg.
Also the servicing costs are a fiar bit cheaper than the 6 months or 7.5k miles that you'll have in classic turbo.
I'm on AVS (roughly £350 a service) but that comes round every 2 years or 18K. I do change the oil every 6k though to be extra careful.

The Impreza used to cost me £120 for just an oil change + the medium service was £350, so roughly around £500-£600 per year.

The running costs start to make a reasonable saving. Also factor in the less desirability of the Impreza now, and re-sale time should see you a few quid better off to when you sell the S3 later on.

The only thing I miss about the Scoob is the flat four rumble, that cannot be beaten. However, I don't miss the image that the early model Impreza's are now attracting

Mo-S3 said:
Get about 100 to 110 miles out of £20 but that depends on how empty the tank was when i filled it and whether you use 95 or 98+ ron?

Same here! **** poor!! but worth every mile!

i get around 120 miles from £20 if im driving sensibly throughout.
But normally its around 100 miles because im always doing driving around town and very rarely do motorway miles.

remap hasnt made too much difference

since i started regurlary using tesco 99 im obviously getting less litres now than before but still getting same amount of miles out of it (sometimes abit more) so my ave mpg has gone up.

cant be ***** to do the maths but i fill my car (around £50) and it takes me 250 miles oh goddamit that is £20=100miles, so your OK with an S3

Ditto, roughly 300 miles out of the 1.6 fuel guzzling slow machine

i get about 380 - 400 to a tank.. about £55 of Super unleaded

however.. thats with cruise control activated most of the time :)

before without cruse control about 320 to a tank

My previous car was a Classic Turbo (W reg) - decided that running costs were too high for the mileage I was doing 30k.

So decided to go the whole hog and went for a diesel (A3 1.9TDI Quattro Sport 130bhp). 550-600 miles per tank so approx 200 miles for £20.

I do miss the higher revving engine (petrol), but I am saving a fortune so don't mind the lack of performance! Not been in an S3 but I imagine that it is a better car as standard.

It all depends on what you are making the change for, a true running cost saving or refinement/slightly better running costs. (8mpg!!)

Get about 100 for £20, when I had my little punto I got 200 for £20 so twice the cost but twice the fun and it doesn't feel like its going to fall to pieces.

When I do a drive to my bros in ripon I can get there and back on half a tank 200 for about £25.

Ain't got the foggiest, never only put £20 in always filled to the top

i put in £50 optimax and got 340 out of it but thats motorways local about 250!

the longer the run / more time on the motorway the better my mpg, as soon as it gets around town the mpg falls away. I got 29ish on my first tank and am on about 27 at the moment. Needless to say if you did lots of distance work you could get 30mpg but youd have to go easy - Id budget on 25mpg. Having also had an Impreza also I would say though not significantly more economical the S3 certainly is noticeably more efficient. For the £20 quid youll spend on an S3 stop youll spend £25+ on a Scoob.