S3 feeling a bit slow

joe6886

Reaction score
Just got back off holidays and the last couple of nights i've been out in the S3 I can't help but feel its slowed down a tad. I filled it up before I went away so it does have a full tank of fuel but overtaking people it just feels a bit slower than I remember.

Is there anything obvious to check, it drives fine, no lights on, no missfires or anything. Might just be me imagining things but thought i'd see if it could be anything obvious.

Its completely standard engine wise if it makes any difference.

Must be the warmer weather then, you notice a slight drop in performance when the ambient air temp goes up... Turbo cars love cold air!

Fuel does kinda go off and loses 'octane points' for want of a better term.

Run it low and fill up with V-Power and it will probably be back to normal :)

I thought it might be the temp, it has been a bit warmer lately. Its already full of V-power, i'll just put it down to that unless it gets worse.

Well... if it feels like it's holding back midway through the rev-range, like you've hit a wall type feeling, then I fear you will need a new MAF(Air Flow) sensor.

Yeah was thinking along those lines, ill wait to see if it gets worse then investigate further. Thanks

Was going to complain about the same problem, but wouldn't it come up as a fault or engine management light?

Ive had that with mine before, think it's the weather!! i have filled up with v-power before though and found it crap compared to BP'S high octane fuel, try some of that and go to a fuel station that is real busy so they constantly have fresh fuel!!

Surely not just the fuel and the weather, i got a full tank BP ultimate unleaded!

Probably the MAF, they do deteriorate over time but it's a gradual thing so not something sudden.

Would a MAF failure read on the faults? Or bring up an engine mangement light?

My MAF didn't throw up any fault codes at a stealers or the engine mangement light, though sir Doug at MRC knew it was faulty by looking at a graph on his laptop showing the mixture or something, he lost me after the first few words.

Didn't have a replacement MAF so ran it without one for a few days, you could try disconnecting to see if thats the problem, someone please correct me if im wrong.

I get this quite a bit, sometimes i think its really slow and something isn't right but then other times it totally surprises me and puts a huge grin on my face!

Im convinced its just me!

I think she might be right again, temp had dropped a bit last night and it was absolutly flying, could'nt stop grinning. Must just be the weather.

God I love that car.