Big Turbo Conversion (330BHP) £3,500 Fitted

Stewart

Reaction score
Website
www.oreton.com
Just got off the phone with Mike at JBS...

IHI-VF34 Hybrid on a custom manifold with custom 3" Downpipe with single sports CAT mated to my Milltek CATback..
475cc Injectors
4 BAR fpr
All fitted with new lines, gaskets, oil, filter and coolant with Custom Code Version 3 mapping...

This conversion will produce 125BHP at 3,000 rpm compared to the 105BHP of a Standard 225 TT/S3.

Your thoughts? Value for money, other issues etc...

Sounds good to me, is'nt that other chap paying £5k for 350bhp? 330bhp would be lovely.

Is yours an IHI Chris? I've probably asked this before but whats the lag (and therefore drivability) like compared to the K04?

As per the sig, mine is the Garret GT28RS. Only a fraction, if any, laggier than a well mapped K04.

Have you seen any dyno plots of the conversion?

The only problem with what you're looking at is the fact that it won't be long before you're thinking about buying uprated internals/valves/clutches, etc and wanting to turn the boost up....

Sorry, still hungover lol, didn't notice your sig :)

I already have a clutch rated at 400Ilbs so should be fine...

At least with the uprated internals it's not an engine out job...

Stewart said:
Your thoughts? Value for money, other issues etc...

Yep looks like a good price for the extra power ;)

A new uprated clutch would have to be fitted costing another £800?????

sitrials said:
looking at older FMIC posts they aren't that much better than the oem ones are they??

For standard power, the twin side mounts are quite efficient for cooling, but once remapped, you can feel the heatsoak, especially whilst queuing for the 1/4miles at GTI inters, where my inlet temps hit over 40 degrees C just idling up to the start.
330BHP big turbo in my opinion, requires a decent intercooler to maximise/maintain power.

mines remapped should i bother or is it a waste??
thinking of making my own kit like the guy who bought the TT kit from the good old US of A.
did that ever work??

I am having the IHI 34 with 20 hosuing on it. Aiming for a max of 340hp, keep it at max 1.4bar I think. Nice and tractable and nto pusiing the turbo too much.

Want it to be nice and quiet too!

It could definitely cope with the twin coolers, however to get the best from it I know I should get it mapped with a Front mount..hmm this pushes it over the £4k mark.

Gah, what to do? New car or BT? With a BT on the S3 it will be pretty much as far as you can take one, I've done everything else.

Thinking maybe putting the £4k towards a new car (nearly bought an S4 this week) and starting the modding all over again :)

I'm leaning towards a MK5 GTi, great handling, good looks (once lowered and colour coded)...

Gah

The BT 1.8T motors are just fabulous though! If you get a mk5, you can get a remap and spend all the money on chassis mods, (they handle ok but nothing like your S3 will with all the stuff you have on it). Even remapped they are not that quick, I'd be surprised if they are any quicker in a straight line than a mapped S3?

The BT really changes the 1.8T equipped cars totally. Go have a go in a demo car somewhere, no matter what spec or tune it is, you'll see the difference to the stock turbos immediately. And when they come on song, they are seriously quick cars!

First IHI equipped car I drove was the jabba Ibiza! It was abosolutely mentalist, so light, ran around 350hp on full boost and 300 on low boost. I drove it a few days after it was tested at Brunters and made some nuts figures, over 170mph flat out and 0-100 in less than 11 secs! Insanely quick, totally tractable and yet any straight, and it went ballistic! Potential licence looser for sure amazing how often you'd see speeds that you'd be winding the S3 up for ages on the autobahn to see!

If anything it was a bit of a handfull on max boost and far "nicer" to drive on low boost. I think the S3 with 4wd and a bit more weight should be really nice with about 340hp. Go for it!

mk5 is a hot hatch but like simch says S3 with the money spent will be better as for S4 its a bit of a jump from a hatch?
I'm thinking about the bigger turbo job but to be honest not sure I want to be driving any faster after recent events
keep the S3 stewart