S3 rear spoiler fitting.

HOUCH

Reaction score
Hi there. Is there anyone here who has fitted S3 rear spoiler to A3 tailgate please, I know it can be done just need a bit of advice.
Cheers Houch.

depends on what kind of a finish you're after. The S3 spoler isn't bonded, its bolted to the glass.

You can either go aftermarket and have it bonded, or if you want OEM, you'll have to fit an s3 rear glass or tailgate.

if your feeling lucky could attept grinding the holes in your existing glass i suppose, but getting the fit right is going to be a kick in the nuts.

dantheman1986 said:
could you not remove the bolts from the spoiler and then have it bonded on?

you could grind the bolts off and bond it, although i'm not too sure if there'd be enough contact. The more i think about the area its fitted the more likely i think it is to lift and fall off - theres loads of dirt sucked on there.

saying that, its always suprising to see the strength of some bonds...

for the sake of a few more quid for a rear glass from an S3 from a scrappy though, i'd go that route. You know its going to sit perfect and not drop off. Maybe i'm too much of a perfectionist though.

i bought a genuine spoiler from audi for my a3 and it was bonded on and its solid. i know its not a s3 spoiler but still its very strong, and it came from audi with the bonding agent in the box with it

I thought all A3's had spoilers?

Cheers guys for usefull posts (been away few days) soz for not thanking sooner, Not sure which way to go yet, Looked at area that you could bond and not the biggest bit worried that 1st time take down motorway could see spoiler embedded in cars behind grill/screen, best option for me would be to pick up s3 tailgate and glass complete as muppet who owned before me had bike rack fitted (badly) couple of chips to paintwork, just dont get too many s3's broken in area, might be worth getting quote from glass company to see how much rear screen costs (if will fit in a3 tailgate.)

Personally i'd bond it, the area isnt much smaller than that on most spoilers that are bonded on, just get the right glue you shouldnt have much to worry about.

I have an S3 spoiler on my A3.... Bonded on. Use tigerseal, and it will NOT come off!

I used some fine wet&dry and roughened the painted surface of the tailgate top, and the applied the adhesive to the spoiler. The spoiler also has double sided tape on it (same stuff that they use for badges) and its held in place VERY firmly. This has been on 2 years now.

Rich

on my old A3

cut the bolts of the S3 spoiler, went b&q, got the strong stuff glue,

and stuck it on, never came off, while i had the car

Was there any need to fill the sides or edges with some clear adhesive or filler to avoid elements breaking down the sanded down area at all?

Just curious as Im on the lookout for a rear spoiler myself.

Thanks.