Sad...not long till 8L S3 will have to go

AL_B

Reaction score
Guys,

This sounds stupid, but I feel sad. In fact I'm probably sad in both senses of the word for posting this, but...

It's coming to the time when my 8L S3 is going to have to go :-( (8P S3 has been built). And everytime I think about it going, I get that gut-renching sad feeling, like when pet has died or a woman has dumped you!

It's been nearly 5 years since I picked the car up in Germany. It was love at first sight. Gone through thick and thin. It was THE car that I'd desired for 3 years prior to getting it. It was a special weekend picking the car up in Germany. Being picked up from the airport in a Ferrari. It was also the weekend just before my Birthday AND the car was first registered on my Birthday. So many good memories.

I've therefore grown attached to it, its so stupid. I should really be looking forward to the new car...but...MY 8L S3, where will it go...will someone look after it? Even the missus will miss it...we've even thought about trading in the Golf instead.

Anybody else miss (or going to miss) their 8L S3, like I am, and in my case it hasn't even gone yet. :-(

AL

Always sad to change cars from my point of view, and one which you have owned from new also Al, but hey... it's time to move on, you're getting a new shape S3 you lucky ******, go and enjoy it... your current S3 will be gone, but not forgotten. :beerchug:

Cheers mate.

I know whenever I see an 8L S3 in the future, I'll wish I'd kept mine. I just know it. In fact at this point in time I still think the 8L S3 looks nicer!

If I was lucky, I'd be able to afford the 8P AND keep the 8L. :) Unfortunately, I will have to trade in, or sell privately.

AL

how much are the dealer offering for your s3 mate

your lucky getting new shape S3

They are offering 10K, but I'd like more. But not sure how I can haggle with an order placed.

I realise I could get more selling privately, but work requires me to have a car.

AL

I can sympathise (spelling?), selling my A3 to fund an S3

And your right - it is odd how you get attached to a car - i almost feel like i'm cheating when i go to see other cars

AL_B said:
at this point in time I still think the 8L S3 looks nicer!

AL

thats because it clearly does Al! the 8L S3 is still something special to me, everytime i see one, i just think theyre amazing. i know its perhaps not the incredible car i once thought it was, after hearing all glens posts about handling and things, but i still get excited everytime i see one, and you always know when you pass one.

i THINK i passed an 8P S3 yesterday, but to be honest, i dont really know, as nothing stands out massively from an S-line A3.

still, time moves on, technology improves, and as sad as it is to say, its an almost certainty that the 8P will be a better car at the end of the day!

change is hard, we naturally oppose it it seems. but give it a few months, and you will be loving it and not looking back with any luck!

i still miss my mini every single day, even though i still own it, its just not on the road! but i have to face up to it that the dailly commute in a race prep'd mini was madness, and the audi is far more suited.

just think youself lucky you have had them both! thats pretty cool too:arco:

I think Audi spent more money on the engine and the chassis this time round. For around the same money, the 8L S3 came with a wider body over the A3, which made it unique to look at and replicate. I'm sure it won't be long where we will see 8P S3 replicas on the roads.