Performance Open Week - My Test Drive

PaulBelsham

Reaction score
Following on from the other thread on on here I'd just like to share my experience with you all.

I went out yesterday in the A3 3.2 Quattro, S4 and TT 3.2 DSG (coupe)

A3 - 10 minute test drive
The first thing I noticed about this car was that the arm rest rattled really badly, which I thought was very poor considering the car only had 1025 miles on the clock. Performance was pretty good, although not a patch on the S3, but then the engine was far from run in so was still quite tight. I quite liked the feel of the car, had a lot of nice little well thought of features, wasn't quite sure if I liked the speed sensitive steering though. I doubt I'd buy one but I think the forthcoming S3 is worth keeping an eye on, lot of potential there.

S4 - 20 minute test drive
WOW, that motor is awesome, it felt really solid and secure (more so then other Audi's I've driven), this car was fully loaded (belongs to the IT director) and had 4500 miles on the clock. Around the town it was dead easy to drive although is some places quite difficult to hold back the power as its quite a responsive car, there was a point when I had to over take a learner, 3rd gear 25mph, over took it with ease. In general the car wasn't as blisteringly quick as I'd have expected it to be, but on saying that neither was my S3 until it was run in, and with this S4 only having 4500 miles on the clock it still had a little way to go yet till it loosens up, I was very impressed with the response and pick up from 60mph (4th), it really flung you back in the seat, I cant imagine what the RS4/6 would be like. One down side to the car is that the visibility isn't great out the back, think acoustic parking might be a option to consider when buying this car, another downside the £37k price tag, although if I had, and was looking to spend that kind of money on a car I would definitely consider the S4.

TT - 5 minute test drive
This car had hardly any petrol in it so I couldn't go far. I'd never driven a TT before so didn't really know what to expect, first thing I noticed was how much visibility there was especially out of the back. I was very impressed with the DSG box, even though Audi don't market it as an automatic gear box I was still expecting it to drive like a normal auto, how wrong I was, the throttle response was like any manual I'd driven, the paddle shift works really well and the car changed gear exactly when I would expect to. If I were to buy a TT I don't think it'd be the 3.2, id prefer to have a manual over a multitronic box, I feel more in control with a manual. Still a very impressive car although I'd read that the TT has launch control, im assuming that's a button button somewhere but hadn't a clue where it was.

Nice report Paul.

I'm test driving the A3 3.2 and S4 today. May try to get a go in the TT 3.2. Hope I get more than 20 mins though.

AL

I took out the 3.2 TT with DSG, box was great via the padles, but I wasn't impressed with the changes when in sports mode, supposed to be 0.2 seconds between changes, but it felt like ages. When using the padles it was a lot quicker.

Launch control is pretty good. Stick the box into sports mode, press the brake, plant the accelerator, let go of the brake and off u go!

Nice one Al
You lucky sod, my dealership never had an RS6 when I went there.
Did you have a salesman in the car with you when you were testdriving ?

ahhh, that would explain how you managed to perform such an "extensive" test of the cars abilities /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif