Anyone had this problem before

Jay

Reaction score
I have an A3 2000 1.8T, when i first start the car , at any time of day I get get this whining noise coming from the engine bay!! The idle speed is approx 1100 then starts to drop after, about 30 seconds, back to normal. This is when the noise also stops.

It sounds very similar like a fan runnning but the fan doesnt turn!!??

Any suggestions?

thanks

i think this normal, it also is the same on my S3. the car engine is warming up hence the 1100RPM -correct me if im wrong.

im not to sure but could be something to do with your air conditioning motor running, they run for about 10mins after you switch off the engine. if it is this normal
regards
Lee

May be the started motor not fully disengaging? heard smiilar thing before, do ylu knwo where its coming from? If not starter could be an alternator bearing or even a roller or tensioner bearing on the cambelt, be careful, mine on my golf collapsed and I was very lucky not to need 20 new valves!

I get a high pitch noise when i start my car up with the aircon/heater on! When you switch the aircon/heater off and start the car do you still get the same noise?

Are you starting it up from cold. If so I would of expected it to be the auto choke, mine does it to in the mornings or if it has been stood for a while. Its just the engine warming up.

YEah,

My S3 does that and then it stops when the revs drop.

Right i'll take your guys word for it.

It normally happens first thing in a morning so hopefully it'll be the engine just warming up.

I've come across the aircon noise aswell which is completely different.

Thanks for all your replies