S3 long life service interval

tazzer

Speed cameras are the work of the devil
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry if this is been asked before but I got my 2003 S3 last august. When it was in for it's MOT the garage I took it too commented that it was little low on oil and topped it up. It's not due another change for 6000 miles (40000) I think. I got a full oil & filter change done just to be on the safe side and the guy recommended switching to normal servicing at the next MOT / major service.

Any thoughts on this ? long life is a nice idea but I've always had oil changes regularly as Audi's seemed to burn a bit more oil than you'd usually expect. Rather play it safe, even my old VTS munched oil. Mate's A6 2.4 is the same with oil.

Another thing, some days the turbo seems to kick in a lot more aggressively than others, 1st Turbo car so not sure how they behave.

Just to recap, 2003 (225 bhp one), 35000 miles, just had an oil change, fully synthetic oil. Standard car. Love it. :thumbsup:

the turbo will be more aggresive if the weather/air is cold, colder air equates to more power.
audi S3 use approx 1Litre every 1000 miles, so keep an eye on the level every few weeks. top up if neccessary.

i have stuck to long life services, drive it sensibly and you wont be servicing it every 2mins!
hope this helps

Cheers.

Struggle to drive sensibly tho so thats me ****** :) Car is pretty much identical to yours, just stuck SP9000's on. pretty impressed with them so far.

IN my experience the 1.8T motor uses hardly any oil, unless you overfill it or have seriously knackered valve stem seals.

I use maybe half a litre of oil in 10k miles on my 235hp golf agu at 130k miles!
S3 uses none of any note so far in 3k miles.

Keep your eye on it, personally the first thing I did when I got mine on longlife servicing was to change it to regualr 10k miles servicing. I will be changing the oil more regualr than 10k anyway. (usually every 5-8k miles).

the dunlop tyres are exellent tyres in the dry and wet, hard wearing too and a good looking tyre. quite a lot of top manufacturers supply them on their cars (mercedes. BMW etc)so must be decent.

i drive my car sensibly for 10mins when cold but when its warm then i can have some fun. i would recommend this as your car engine will have less wear etc.

if you have only just got your S3 drive it a few months then get a remap-its a totally different car!

i went with the REVO remap and i would recommend it but is a little bit dearer than other remaps but you have the ability to change the boost, fuel, timing, anti theft settings and put the car back into standard performance in literally 5 seconds!

Well, south london in the morning I have little choice but to drive sensibly. Once or twice the turbo has been a bit dead about 3000ish rpm in 5th or 6th on the motoroway then the power comes in one big lump, never used to do that but it's stopped doing it now. odd.

Had the S3 since last September. 32000K on it when I got it and put about 4K on it since.

Whats involved in a REVO remap ? software you download ? I'm a bit new too this and no mechanic to be honest, I develop music video & advertising systems which use SMS stuff so I am well up on software. Bit paranoid about messing with mapping settings etc.

What costs are involved ? could you recommend small tweaks to improve performace etc. Don't want to turn the boost up just to blow the engine of a car I'm paying off for another 2 years :) It came from Northhampton Audi originally.

Any help would be much appreciated, sorry about the lack of car knowledge, been driving since I was 14 but never got into the mechanical side of things, same with my GSXR600, just rode it very fast.

Seen a few guys post on here and get pelters for their lack of mechanical knowledge.

there is no harm in asking on here if you dont know, its just that some people come on here saying my car can beat yours etc etc ....lol and thats when arguements start

a REVO remap is a generic software remap which is downloaded via your port socket located in your car at a REVO dealer. the cost is £500 plus VAt but they recommend you change your re-circulating valve to an uprated one such as forge which is another £80. the total for this is £680 (thats what it cost me) but what a difference.

i usually leave the fuel set to run on V-Power (high RON content),
the timing, boost, fuel are set on figures 1-9, 1 being the lowest setting and 9 the highest.

if the weather is warm i leave the boost on a medium setting 6 and turn the timing down to 4.

if the weather is chilly i turn the boost to 9 MAX and turn the timing up to 5/6.

these figures probably dont mean much to you sorry ! but if you end up getting the remap you will soon find out.

also, you can go to a revo dealer www.revotechnik.com

find your nearest dealer and try the 5 hour free trial, thats 5 hours of driving time and not 5 hours from when you get the trial put on.

try and see what you think

Lee

Lee,

Thanks for that mate. Does it involve chipping the car (265bhp) ? I wasn't keen on doing that for reselling for one thing or a pure software map, spend ages looking for a un-modified S3...and I mean ages, so many were stolen recovered.

Can you change the values yourself ? do they sell you a cable ?

Thanks a lot for the feedback, much appreciated.

Taz.

Taz
Revo is software uploaded to your ecu to make it faster and tourqueir...(is that a word?) Look on the website and see the FAQ's and also you'll see its untraceable even though a few on here will tell you otherwise
don't bother with the changable module as your bound to hook up with someone on here or at a show with one willing to change your settings.
I bought one and found that one out :laugh:
Jason

yes they just upload the software on your car, there is no chip or sign that it has been remapped, the values change on the ECU. you can change the car back to standard mode if you decide to sell and nobody will know.

i would recommend an SPS3 switch so you can change your settings dependant on the weather, i mean if you go to a lot of meetings and know someone then it may be worthwhile but you can pick these switches up off ebay for about £150, when there £300 new.

Looks like one is on the shopping list later in the year.

Spend over £1200 in tyres, roadtax, insurance etc in the last 2 months so better wait a few months before getting it. Still getting gyp for getting the S3 instead of an engagement ring..priorities priorities. :)

Got stopped by a copper in south london this morning....quote: "It's not a race track fella" :cool: waving his finger at me...jeez, was like been back in school. Stilll...he let me off.

i dont blame you not getting an engagement ring, sod that- have fun because when your married everything stops and you will driving a fiesta! nothin wrong with a fiesta but a change from an S3