wandering xenon headlight - any ideas whats wrong

dunk

Reaction score
my drivers xenon light starts at the correct positoning (audi have reset both) but after driving for 15-20 minutes, it ends up pointing at the ground a few yards in front of the car. the left one is always in the right place.

if i stop driving (engine still running) and switch the lights off and on, each on makes the right light go up a bit - it takes 3 off/on switches to get the light in the right place - after this it usually stays up!

if i do the on/off trick whilst moving, the light stays down towards the floor.

audi checked and the light motor is moving correctly - it obviously works because i can get it to go up by switching on/off. they also said they checked the tilt sensors and they were fine - probably true because the left light is always in the right place.

any smart ideas??
thanks

Mine did exactly the same, apparently there are several different tests they can run on the lights.

After running them on mine they found a problem with the motors, since replaced. Ever since then it's been fine.

Don't take no for an answer, mine was in about 3 times for it before the finally found the problem.

Dunk

You had the same problem as myself. After much persistance,3 times it was checked off side front, the dealer replaced the light unit and the sensor on the rear boot. They had to remove the front bumper for the liight replacement so they could be reluctant to do the work.

It astounds me that a dealer would not want to put right some potentially dangerous problem just to avoid taking the front bumper off, but it does sound about right!

More evidence to show that the UK is ruled by the balance sheet...

Talking of the xenon lights does anyone have condensation on the inside of the headlights but after a while it dries up which then leaves a water mark type stain.....