Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

Have a Problem & Need help!!!

Hi

I have a 2002 BAM S3, over the last couple of months the Lambda sensor in the downpipe seems to be removing itself! First time I took it to a mate and he diagnosed it as many other garages were saying it was a crack in the downpipe! Whilst I was with him he managed to get it back in place and tightened up, result I thought! Now 3 months down the line, was going round a roundabout last night and it has come out again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and is there anyway I can get some form of locktite to hold it in place?

Any help very much appreciated!

Thanks steve

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I have been told by Tuning Werkes that it maybe the thread is knackered on the Downpipe? Anyone heard of this happening before, I hope its not as this sounds expensive!

I was wondering if I get a washer and some form of sealant ( for exhausts ) whether it stands more chance of being held in place!

1st Gear

Status
    could try getting a new collar tapped in to the Exhaust for the proobe to screw into seen it done with cross threadded spark plug bores so should work on this

3rd Gear

Status
    The re threaded collar is the best long term solution but a temporary one is to re fit it, then lockwire it in place.

Hope this helps.
    Coming back to Audi with an A3 Tdi Sportback Quattro... but the 220bhp T5 was epic....

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for the advice guys!

Neutral

Status
    do you live anywhere near sheffield if so i could either helicoil it for you or put an insert in i got both kits for doing that

1st Gear

Status
    I live just south of london, I think I have sorted it... went to Audi to see if there was a washer which had come of when it fell out, apparently not!
    So I went to halfords and got some locktite and some washers, cleaned up the bolt added the washer and locktite and put it back in, have driven it around for a while today and it seems fine, the thread seemed ok and went back in very smoothly so don't think its threaded... hopefully the washer will give it a bit more bite!

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciated!

6th Gear

Status
    Steve, take it to any local garage with a welder.
    So long as it seals in place, if its just popping out, just get them to tack a small weld on the side against the DP only needs to be tiny.
    When it needs to be removed (ie if you need a new dp) it will be smple enough to just grind off, or indeed proabbly torque off.

take few mis to do only and will be a secure fix and take the worry out of the loctite fix!
    BTW if the seal is not tight, a bit of exhaust past on the rhreads will help prior to takcing ti in place. Or you can get some extremely expensive but extremely high temp silicone exhuast sealer which will do the trick too.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks Simch will see how it goes for the time being and if it happens again will try out what you have recomended.

5th Gear

Status
    I had a similar problem with the turbo to manifold bolt coming out all the time
    kept happening every week or so, in the end i got a brand new bolt and split-washer and used exhaust sealant on the thread and it hasnt bothered me for months now!

I tried using locktite but the temperature of the exhaust just melts it so its useless!
    2001 Audi S3 l MTM Remap l 252.7bhp 432.4Nm l Forge 007P l ECS Porsche Stage 2v2 Front Brake Set-up l ECS Stage 1 Rear Brake Set-up l 18" RS4 Alloy Wheels

My BM is fixed!

Status
    There is a fairly easy way to do this, but its not with loctite, which will not withstand the temperature of the exhaust.

You could try using exhaust paste OR use a pin punch and hammer on the flange, this can if done carefully lock the component in place.
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

1st Gear

Status
    I may try that paste then if the locktite doesn't hold firm!

Thanks again everyone
    2002 Silver S3 225bhp SOLD

1995 Cavalier Turbo 4x4 - 265bhp

AUDI A4 DTM - Silver

Reverse Gear

Status
    Please visit http://www.helicoil.in for better description of the Helicoil Products.