Not happy, possible petrol line crack/split!!!!!

Booth_S4

Riding on V8 power
Reaction score
My car has been funny on start up for the last few days. I noticed the smell of petrol when i was getting in and out of car, then on start up it wasnt firing up on the first occassion. I am having to re-turn the key for a second time and it fires up no problem.

Now ive found some petrol on my driveway, so either the petrol line is split or its the petrol tank.

Anyone had anything like this happen before? How much is it likely to cost to rectify?

thanks

It could just be your fuel filter. If the leak is coming from the drivers side near the rear quarter near the tank then it might just be that. Apparently they're prone to rubbing on the tank and putting a hole in themselves. I got to work one morning and found a puddle slowly forming under my car. I got it recovered to a garage who charged me £32 for parts and labour to fit a new filter :)

I was quite relieved!

If it is the fuel filter, consider changing it yourself.

It's around £4-6 and takes approx 5-10 minutes to fit..

Might want to depressurise the fuel system first or get a face full of fuel at 60psi

Unless the engine is on and running the fuel filter is not under pressure.

I've changed enough, it kinda dribbles out. Mind it does hold a suprising amount of fuel considering its size.

You need to clamp off the pipes and swap it out. really simple.

Must be different on the Audi then, the last fuel filter I changed was well after the engine was shut off, and the fuel line was still pressurised.

i agree with A4Quattro

the s3 lines are still pressurised when changing a fuel filter.. and TT is the same also

I have recently changed both an S3 filter and the TT filter, both let out a woosh as i disconnected the filter, under pressure

I would say it depends how long the engine has been turned off as the pressure will bleed away. Thats why the pump primes itself (to pressurise the system) when you turn the ignition on.

If left overnight you should be fine but take precautions anyway, I.e Wear protective eyewear and something to soak up the fuel should you spill/spray any.

Mine fuel filter wasn't under pressure after approximately ten minutes (oil change time) after switching the engine off.

Same goes for my friends Mk4 and my girlfriends car too.

Have other people ACTUALLY observed it being under pressure when replacing it?

Yes I have had a face full of petrol spray out and into my eyes, not pleasant

If you clamp the lines, as per ELSA, then you wouldn't see this pressure issue I wouldn't imagine, hence why i have had no problems...