HID-Radio Interference

Tastyterrier

Monkey Trainer
Reaction score
I've installed a HID kit on my 2001 A3 TQS, it looks great and works just fine. The only problem is that is causes interference with the radio. As soon as the lights are turned on, the signal drops to the radio. The radio is still there just not as strong.

What puzzles me is that I have it set up on a relay, so it's completely independant of the car's main electrical system.

I've tried moving the ballasts around but it doesn't help. The HID system is also fully grounded.

I'm out of ideas, any thoughts?

hi mate cant answer your question, but im looking for one of these kits, which one did you go for and what price and where from if you dont mind me askin, thanks

If the problem is with the kit, maybe you don't want this one!!

It's a JM Kit imported from Hong Kong. All seems good quality, the light is bright and stable, looks as close to OEM as I think you'll get (6000K). All waterproofed with proper sealed connectors. It also came with the relay included.

Worked out as around £65 all in. Maybe this'll teach me for being to cheap, must be the Scotsman in me!!!

I have bought the same kit, and I have exactly the same problem!
The JM kit from ebay; I got the 4300K, it looks exactly the same as OEM HIDs, but when switched on, I get high pitched interferance through the radio. Not a hum that you would expect if it wasnt properly grounded.
I have an aftermarket radio, and it shows that the signal, and it doesnt drop when the lights switch on.

I cant figure out what the problem is. If you find a cure please post!

I had the same problem in my toyota Yaris, you should check your ground connections and if the wiing for the HID kit, goes near the wiring for the speakers or the stereo

I talked to a few sparkies and they say it's more than likely to be a RF interference problem, which can be solved by screening the cables etc. I've got hold of some screening tape (sticky-back copper) which I'll wrap around the cables etc. I'll get back to you if it works!

BTW TeJS, it's not a high pitched frequency I get, just a drop in signal. I live in a low signal area anyway so if I'm on higher ground the radio comes back. Did you use a relay to keep the system separate to your car's electrics?

Does anyone know if there's any radio related gear in the engine bay?

I didnt use a relay, but Ive not experienced any problems relating to that, just the interferance with the radio. Is relaying important?

The radio antenna is amplified, so its powered from a 12V connection from the battery, so it is likely that it is getting interferance from the cabling from the HIDs.

Relaying just protects your ECU etc from any random discharges that may come from your HIDs. There have been reports of HIDs frying ECUs, how true they are I don't know. Your lights will operate in exactly the same way as the original bulb wires trigger the relay.

Hello there. I had the same problem with my audio system. Interference usually comes from a bad power source connection, insufficient reliable amp power or signal cable running near power cable. If these dont solve it, maybe look into getting a capacitor and or an equalizer. These both provide line conditioning and should eliminate intereference.

Does anyone know where the radio signal cable runs in the engine bay? Where would I put in the capacitor, what would this acually do. I'm a bit of a div when it comes to electronics! Mechanics I'm ok with!!