Remap on Thursday, any preperations i should do?

Prawn

My other car is a MINI!!!!
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hi guys (and girls)

ive just been to book my remap at JKM in portsmouth, and on thrusday at 1400, im having the REVO stage 1 software put onto my 98 A3 1.8T (AGU)

im just wondering if there is anything i can do pre mapping to help things?

i changed the oil 1000 miles ago, a new induction kit was fitted 2000miles ago, so the air filter is clean, its got a milltek catback exhaust fitted, and a brand new forge 007P last week.

all the fluids are topped up, and its running perfectly it seems.

is there anything ive missed i ought to do before the remap?

really excited about it now, hoping itll be as great as everyone says :)

thanks in advance

Nick

Well good luck Prawn!

All this talk about remaps is making want one now!!!

mmmm Revo or MRC caught in the middle! :think:

i had to make the same choice, with so many decent tunners out there, its so hard to decide which to go for!

i eventually got it down to REVO, or chipped UK, chipped UK sounded good because they were cheaper, and also offered before and after rolling road runs.

i eventually went with revo, because they are the name i have been hearing long before i got into audis myself, 5 years ago my dad used to tell me about a company called revo who could make his A4 go like ****! and when i the name appeared when i got my own audi, it just sounded right.

that, and JKM performance, a big revo dealer are less than 2 miles from my house, and a load of mates of mine have had various cars mapped by the guys there.

at the end of the day, power runs before and after would be nice, but its only a sheet of paper.

if i found it was only making 138bhp before hand, and then made 178 afterwards, id probably be pretty upset..... despite the large rise in power!

all i know is its going better than ever this week sinse fitting the forge 007, and if the boost is going to go from 6-7psi to 14+, im sure its going to be incredible! with or without a bit of paper to tell me so.

the whole revo outfit just seemed so professional.

also, one thing many people DONT like, that i do, are the characteristics of the revo map, which apparently boosts quite high low down, giving a nice surge of torque, which should liven things up a bit.

i know many remaps are favoured due to their smooth OEM like power delivery, but my other car is a wild 1380cc hillclimb mini, with sodd all low down power and a savage take off when it comes onto cam at 4k, so i want the audi to be at least a little interesting!

does an air filter and CAT back exhaust really consitute a stage 2 remap? i thought stage 2 required things like high flow cats and FMICs? i also didnt think i could get stage 2 for my car, as its an AGU cable throttle engine and cannot be flash mapped?

I don't know that - I just was aware that the exhaust and the Induction kit allowed St2.

Either way you will enjoy it - money well spent, just don't get caught speeding!!!

Don't forget to tell the insurance co and be prepared to cough up the extra wonga for the mods.

Prawn said:
does an air filter and CAT back exhaust really consitute a stage 2 remap? i thought stage 2 required things like high flow cats and FMICs? i also didnt think i could get stage 2 for my car, as its an AGU cable throttle engine and cannot be flash mapped?

Revo said:
Revo Stage 2 compliments performance exhaust and air intake combinations to give 10-15% more power over standard Revo performance software.

Basically just a 'zorst and filter.

interesting!

would you guys reckon it would be worth going for the stage 2 upgrade? in thoery, 10% more power would be 19bhp (if the revo1 made 190bhp) putting output up to 210bhp.... this sounds a little unlikely surely running just a standard KO3?

can you do the stage 2 upgrade to a cable throttle car? i was under the impression that the stage 2 was some sort of tweaking of a generic code on the rollers using the flash method?

You can't have Stage 2 REVO on an AGU, the ECU is differant from later 1.8T's.

Stage 2 isn't a further 10%, it's only an extra 10% on top of the existing Stage 1 i.e. if Stage 1 gives 40bhp, Stage 2 would give another 4bhp. The point of stage 2 isn't so much about increasing peak power but it does increase the area under the power curve so you'll be getting more power throughout the rev range but only minor gains at the top end. Top end power is ultimately limited by the Turbo.

thanks paul, thats exactly what i thought was the case, i didnt think you could run stage 2 on the AGU engine.

that saves me hasstle, and possibly more money too :p

just stuck £30 of V-power in her, and giving her a wash and hoover out in the morning before the remap at 2pm :)

interestingly, they say they have just got some new cables, which will allow them to remap my AGU via the data port! which sounds interesting!

ill report back tomorow afternoon :)

thanks for all the help guys

just my luck, i gave her an awsome clean last night, all set for today, i wake up, and its raining!

******! im going to be spinning up everywhere this afternoon!

rather excited about it all now.....

hahahaha

i hope its not TOO addictive, ive only got £30's worth of V power for today, and i cant see that lasting all too long.....

cant fill up again until tomorow when i get paid!

hi, I may come over and have look!! :hubbahubba:
may get mine done soon

woop woop!
im back!

before and after figures:

before: 158.3bhp and 168 lb ft

after 183.9bhp and 235lb ft

not as high in bhp as some, but a LOT of torque :D

im so chuffed, its like a rocket!

off out for a drive :D

Good to hear it all went well!!

Sounds like i should be booking mine in soon! :yes:

Enjoy!

been out and about for a while,and its just amazing, its like a whole new car altogether!

they threw in the power runs before and afterwards for free, which was good of them, as i didnt expect it!

the torque around 3000rpm is just amazing, a real kick in the back compared to how it used to be! and it carries on pulling much higher up nice and strong.

overall, im chuffed to bits with it, and the whole service from JKM.

alsi met goubin there, who i think is going to have his done next week :) (nice to meet you mate!)

happy happy happy nick!

nice to meet you too¬

Did you notice any clutch slip?

no, none at all.

although, im not likely to really, as the car had a brand new clutch, flywheel, and gearbox 5000 miles ago!

You should be out tearing up tarmac!! How do your RR figures compare with the suggested figures from Revo?

Good to hear your chuffed to bits - I've had the last 2 motors chipped value for money is incredible.

Glad your remap worked out, I've had alot of work done by JKM recently getting my car sorted out as it had a few niggles, top service and really nice team. I can see them expanding alot more.

Lloyd

my figures are interesting actually!

revo claim 190bhp and 225lbft.

yet mine made 184bhp and just over 235lb ft!

from what i remember, tallpaul has exactly the same mods as me, and his made 192bhp and 218lb ft.

i was a little disappointed when i saw the 184 figure, but the incredible torque more than makes up for it!

JKM are really good, great service, and very friendly too!

interesting how my car made 158bhp and 168lb ft before hand too!

As a comparison, I have a superchips map and mine is 186Bhp and only 206ft.lbs so you can see how much these things differ.

Hence why Rolling Road results should be taken with a pinch of salt. They are just a guide to the power output of the engine. If i took my car to three differant RR's i'd fully expect three differant results and anything up to 5% differance wouldn't suprise me at all :)

Glad you like REVO, don't worry about the clutch, mine is 9 years old and has done 90k miles, it handles the power just fine. Mind you, i don't do drag strip launches. If i did, i'd fully expect 220lb/ft of torque to finish it off sooner rather than later irrespective of its age.

thanks for all the comments guys!

with regards to the launch comment paul, i never launch my audi AT ALL! its just not worth it! im used to the setup in my mini, which has a sintered uprated plate, billet steel flywheel and backplate, and a very stiff orange diaphram, so getting off the mark quickly is an altogether different affair!

in the audi, i always set of normally, then if i fancy it, give it some beans once rolling.

i also hate the way bigger cars wheel spin, in the mini, i can dump the clutch, and the tiny ten inch wheels just sit on the spot spinning, and all is well. in the audi, when you do get any wheelspin, the girt huge tyres just keep digging in, and end up shaking the whole car to bits!

just been out for 15mins around a few roundabouts! and it seems for the average portsmouth roundabout, its hitting peak torque at an ideal speed in 2nd gear! which certainly makes the exits interesting!

im SO happy with the remap, its literally like a whole new car.

doesnt boost as high as i was expecting though! only really peaking 15psi MAX in 5th gear, more like 13-14 in 2nd and 3rd.

seeing as its not boosting too high, could i get away with fitting an N75 J and not hitting limp mode?

An uprated dogbone mount will reduce wheel hop and help transfer the power to the road, not that you'll need it ;)

As for N75J's.... Firstly the ECU used in the AGU doesn't have 'limp mode', there is no MAP sensor for the ECU to monitor actual boost pressure so it has no way of knowing if there is an 'overboost'. Without this safety feature (and that's what it is) you create even more potential for running lean.

Personnaly i wouldn't fit an N75J to any car. Companies like Jabba will fit an N75F when mapping for a K03s upgrade on cars like yours, which is fine because of the larger compressor.

Choice is yours, but peaking 15psi on a K03 is as far as i'd want to run it. I'd also ensure you are using at least 97ron fuel otherwise you'll notice a fair amount of timing pull at the top end.