which disks?

dantheman1986

Reaction score
just got some s3 calipers and carriers off ebay to put on my 1.8tqs. now i know the calipers are the same as mine so all i need to do is use the caliper mounting brackets, but which disks do you guys recomend? am i right in thinking its the 312mm disks i need?

yup it's the 312mm discs - 25mm wide IIRC,

I've just done mine - got the front disks and greenstuff pads - definate improvement over the standard setup IMO

Mintex Discs and pads for me..

which pads do they come with though?

i bought some mintex pads from ebay for my A3, thinking they would be good given the mintex name.

they turned out to be the 'red box' pads, and they were truely awful, and overheated and faded on me 4 times in a week through not overly brisk driving! i swapped back to standards and havnt ****** them sinse!

if these are any good though, ill buying a set! remap this afternoon, and i fancy a bit more stopping power to match!

i've just fitted today on my S3...
EBC Greenstuff pads Front and Rear
Black Diamond Grooved discs
and OMG as the americans would say "it stops on a dime!"
when i took off the front pad the wire for the wear indicator had been disconnected from the pad and taped together lucky i was changing the pads anyway!!
but when i was beding them in down a country lane the ABS kicked in a little!!
when i say a little i mean FACE WINDOW MEET!
:icon_thumright:
as for mintex i've heard nothing but praise!

I had the mintex ones fitted to my S3 a few weeks back (the ones off ebay). Now their bedded in there is a deff improvement in stopping power but the brake pedal still goes down quite a bit before any bite tho. I guess thats better than my astra turbo the that tried to put you through the screen every time you braked.

looks like i may have to try some of these mintex ones then, ill let u guys know how i get on if i get some. cheers for the advice

sitrials said:
i've just fitted today on my S3...
EBC Greenstuff pads Front and Rear
Black Diamond Grooved discs
and OMG as the americans would say "it stops on a dime!"
when i took off the front pad the wire for the wear indicator had been disconnected from the pad and taped together lucky i was changing the pads anyway!!
but when i was beding them in down a country lane the ABS kicked in a little!!
when i say a little i mean FACE WINDOW MEET!
:icon_thumright:
as for mintex i've heard nothing but praise!

Ive read on a few sites and noticed on EBC advertising spreads that they only advise the use of Greenstuff pads in applications upto 200bhp. After 200bhp Redstuff is to be used.

i had green stuff on my A4 and they were awesome was a choice between them and yellow but decided green then next time yellow.
they work awesome!
Never seen the stuff about 200bhp+ reccomendations why advertise and sell green stuff for S3s cause they are over 200bhp as standard?:wacko:

sitrials said:
green stuff for S3s cause they are over 200bhp as standard?:wacko:

EBC said:
  • Fast/Heavy Street Use
  • Brake well from cold
  • Effective to above 650°C
  • Low dust formula
  • Generally recommended for cars producing up to 200BHP and / or NOT 4WD
http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/info.asp

I think this recent enough turn around on green stuff was brought about by people complaining about product malfunctions like friction material parting from the steel back plate. It turned out that high bhp and the huge heat associated was making that pads fail.

Keith

well its didn't say anything like that where i got them from!:no: little bit mad now!
see how i get on and if they start breaking up i'll send them back and get some yellow ones!
Si