Remapping without any other mods & Ebay

S3MHT

Remap Do I or Don't I???????
Reaction score
Hi, Im considering having a remap done on my 210Bhp S3, Is it safe enough to do without doing any other mods or will it slowly start breaking such as the clutch going etc...

Plus i have been pricing them up and the prices vary lots, I know Revo are very popular but i have found a guy on ebay who can do it, he claims he saves your original file so he can revert it back to original settings and he doesnt just load a generic file on he actually modifys your original file. there is also a money back guarentee if you do not like it after 14 days!

He is doing this for £225 and he comes to your home to do it. It's also on best offer so could get it for less than that.

Do you think it's worth going for that or is it worth paying more for the well known and proved company's?

Also just one last question any had any experiences with angel tuning? as they are cheaper than revo too £375

thanks mike

There's so many of these threads coming up now, 'there's a guy who says he can map my car and he does this and that but i've never heard of him', just stick with people that are well known! As i've said before, no matter where in the UK you are there's someone close who has a good reputation and actually know's what they're doing. It may cost more but atleast it won't cost you anything down the line when your ECU has packed up because Mr Map Anything hasn't done the job correctly. Rant over.

Agree with DPM, too many horror stories of home visit remappers.

Stick with tried and tested and more importantly, trusted tuners.

for the sake of 200 quid is the risk worth it ???? not for me.

like most things in life you pay your money you take your chances.

I have superchips and its dogsh*t.

In fact, anyone who has ever driven another 1.8T car with a map that isn't superchips will tell you its rubbish.

I'd agree with the above and stick with a known tuning company, like Custom Code, MRC, BBT etc.

Dave_Bayern said:
I have superchips and its dogsh*t.

In fact, anyone who has ever driven another 1.8T car with a map that isn't superchips will tell you its rubbish.

I'd agree with the above and stick with a known tuning company, like Custom Code, MRC, BBT etc.

If you're not happy with Superchips have you tried telling them that? Their aftersales service is supposed to be excellent and often will develop a custom map for a customers car if the generic map isn't quite suited.

VW Racing use superchips and although past history wasn't always rosy they have really got their act together over the last few years.

Really? Now THAT's interesting, as I actually bought the car with a superchips map. Which was put on in first ownership so circa 1999.

I might well do that. It just seems as if their generic maps are rubbish.

In fact, I WILL do that.

Dave, you have to be prepared to travel to their HQ but I think it would be worth it, just tell them it was you who got the map way back then or something ;)

I think their HQ is in Buckinghamshire or something like that :)

Sorry mate I dont normally get on my high horse but thats total B Locks! superchips have one of the best after sales service, there engineers are freindly nice people, there costs are equal if not better then most, an for my S3 the chip works well. I have had fun with other S3 with revo and so on, they are all as good as each other! if fact if anything the superchips code feels like it has slightly more boost and digs in harder from 3k.

think you should speak to them and try to find out what else mite be the problem!

Hi mate I have had a free trial off APR (£440) , But for some reason I bought the REVO remap. It cost me £550. Lets just say i am going to get my money back from REVO. The APR remap was miles better for my car it pulled from 2000 all the way up to about 6500. The REVO one however kicked in at 3000 and went dead at about 4500-5000!! I was gutted.
When i get my money back i will be going to http://www.ultramap.co.uk/
They will put it on there rollers for an extra £40 and it will not come off untill i am happy with it, they also said i can decide how smooth the power delivery is ect.
I think that every car seems to be different, so different maps by different company's will work better for other people's cars. unless you have it put on rollers and tweaked ect.
Andy

Yes I totally agree, make sure they do a road test to my old golf was done by somone! sorry cannot rememeber all set up on the rolling road massive increses all across the rev range took it down the road was ok drove on the motorway!!!!!! major problems.. not sure why to this day but it got sorted..

enjoy