Koni FSD's and Eibach Sport Springs Fitted

Tooks

Reaction score
I had a lot of knocking coming from the front of my car, so suspected ARB bushes or top mounts, or both!

My car had done 90,000 miles now too, so I thought whilst I had it all apart it would make sense to change the shocks as well.

I talked to the friendly folk at Jabbasport and asked about the Koni FSD's, as I've been less than impressed with the stock setup for some time now. I was advised to get some new springs as well, so I opted for the Eibach Sport kit, which should give me a 10mm drop over the OEM sport springs that were fitted, and once everything has settled down properly. I also asked them to replace the top mounts whilst everything was out, for how much they cost.

I've had them on the car since Monday, and I've covered about 300 miles already, although mostly motorway.

Body control seems nicely improved, but the biggest difference is in the way it handles bumps. Mid corner bumps on country roads no longer throw me off line, and it all 'sounds' much more substantial with no crashiness etc. The speed bumps on the road to where I work no longer hold any fear for me, as again the suspension just seems to soak it up now rather than crash over it.

I've still got knocking from the front ARB bushes, which seems to have got worse since the suspension was changed, and it's detracting from the whole experience somewhat at the moment! I'm picking some bushes up from Audi this afternoon though, and will fit them this weekend.

So far then, a thumbs up, and it makes the car a lot more pleasant to drive when pressing on a bit over rough country roads, and I have a lot more confidence in it now. I've gained the feeling that the suspension is actually controlling things now, rather than just hanging on or playing catch up with the road surface.

The whole setup wasn't much more expensive than stock replacements, so might be something you want to consider come replacement time.

thanks mate, was looking for an FSD write up for some time now...
now if only i could sell my billies :D

Just a quick update to this, as I know lots of people have problems with knocking noises from their A3's!!!

I mentioned that the top mounts changed with the suspension hadn't cured the knocking noise over low speed bumps, and in fact it had appeared to get worse.

I got some ARB bushes on my way home from work last Friday, and changed them over the weekend.

I was a bit sceptical it was the problem to be honest, as the bushes didn't really look that worn once I'd removed them, but the subsequent test drive was bliss as not a sound out of the suspension. :)

It was a fiddly little job because of the limited access, but was managed with just a socket set, a big screwdriver, and some axle stands. Disconnecting the drop links meant I could move the roll bar enough to get enough space to remove the clips and old bushes.

Incidentally, are the 'collars' on the roll bar supposed to rotate on the bar itself? They don't move sideways on the bar, but just rotate?

they should be fixed as far as i know, that was one of the plus points from the R32 arb`s as they are thicker and dont have the sleeves