Door skirts

freddie

Reaction score
just a quick quick question about the grey skirts on the s3 doors, what is the proper name for them and are they expensive to replace as my drivers door one is coming away from the door!

any help appreciated.

about £75 each for the front ones and £45 each for the rear ones

might just need tightening up, but most likely is the plastic insert has come away from the strip

I've had the same problem on both sides of my S3, the passenger side one I could repair, but the drivers side one needed a new one, so I paid the £75 for a replacement, don't forget to buy 4 new screws also for 27p each.
For those who want to know why the strips comes away from the door, basically, the actual skirt/door moulding is made of plastic, and theres like a strip made of some type of nylon plastic with 4 brass bolts in them where the screws go into. This strip is held in place onto the moulding by a rubber seal, and this perishes away, or shrinks with age, letting the nylon strip part work it's way loose.

jojo you hit the nail on the head!
it has just started to come away slightly from the white nylon strip that it is connected to. i might take the whole lot off at the weekend and see if i can do a quick fix.

thanks for the info lads

this happened on my parents a4. im sure he wrote a letter to audi saying it was unacceptabnle blah blah and they replaced them for free.

Some pics then.
Before:
IMG_3385.jpg

After:
134-3405_IMG.jpg

Pic of damaged skirt moulding:
You can clearly see that the nylon strip no longer is held in place by the rubber, and the shiny bits you can see in the pics is dried up Araldite type glue. there's also suppose to be a brass bolt that fills the hole in the nylon strip, but I had to literally pull this thing off the car, as the old screws had rusted and seized! So I recommend new screws from Audi if you are attempting to fix the problem.
134-3403_IMG.jpg

Pic of what it should look like:
134-3404_IMG.jpg

same happened to mine i got rid of the screws they used and used a short drywall screw pulled it up a treat!!