rumble from the rear - any answers??

hooley

Reaction score
Got a noise that increases with speed from the rear of the car, maybe a wheel bearing or a drive shaft??

Makes no noise up to 20mph, then a subdued 'thumping noise' that sounds roughly related to every wheel rotation. Increases in frequency/volume with speed.

All wheels recently balanced.

Didn't notice it until I inflated the tyres from 29 to 35 at the back.

Any ideas?

Jas

My car made quite a loud noise which i thought was a drive shaft but when i change the rear tyres which were badly worn the noise went, bingo!
Nik.

They are new wheels/tyres, bought from Fleabay, but had them balanced brfore putting them on the car.

Went from 18" to 17" Audi TT 6-spokes with new(ish) Michelin sports.Tyres ahve done only 1500 miles and are practically new.

Any other suggestions??

Jas

How old is the car? I have a MY02 plate with 134K running on 17" and have a 'thumping' from the rear. It is going in on friday for a full lowdown by Audi. What it could be I am unsure, as a few months ago it had a service and the rear was given the all clear (no worn bushes, springs intact, mounts okay etc). Will report back.

My car did the rumble and thumping for about 20 miles until I pulled over realised the wheel bolts weren't tight, thus is was rotating off axis, might be an idea to check those, just to make sure.
Audi ELSA says 120Nm tightness.

And the winner is.............

N/S/R Wheel bearing.....
The lucky winner will be drawn from a hat at the end of the show.

Thanks for playing 'Guess the Sound'

J

:wacko: