Anyone know anything about airbags?

ash_s3

Reaction score
Not the ones that raise/slam your car! The ones fitted to the recaro S3 seats to be exact.

One of the airbags is missing in the seat, it has the leather cover and everything, just inside the metal box there is no airbag, just a yellow plastic plug with a wire going down into/under the seat.

I tried linking out the two terminals (thought it would trick the system into thinking an airbag was inside, so i had the light reset on VW computer and it stayed off for a couple of days but its back on constantly now :(

i was thinking maybe i need to put a resistor or something between the terminals?? anyone recommended anything?

i imagine a new airbag unit will be ridiculous money so i just wanted a quick fix to keep the airbag light off as it really peeing me off now!

thanks

Yes, you need to put a resistor over the 2 terminals in the plug.

If you ring Recaro UK they will tell you what value of resistor to use. Tell them you have bought some Recaro Style's and you need to turn the airbag light off..

You mean tell them ive bought some recaro non standard seats? say for track use or something?

Cheers mate

Ash

Just tell them you got some second hand Recaro Speeds or Styles (they dont have airbags)...

When you buy them new from Recaro you get a neatly shrinkwrapped resistor with a plug on the end...

No luck with Recaro UK, theyre being total *** holes!

Refuse to sell me the resistor seperately, say i must buy recaro subframes with the resistor included in the box at £140!!

I can get a new airbag from Audi for £150

What a pain in the *** :sign_unfair:

ask audi or recaro what the resistance is and buy one from maplins or some eletrical shop. it will only be about 20p

as S3ollie says just buy a resistor or maybe a few and try it until you get the right one.

Failing that take out the bulb ?

Meter out the airbag on the other seat and then buy a resistor thats the same value.

Personally i wouldnt want to probe any cabling connected to the SRS system. Try to find someone who has already done it.
alternatively there is one for sale on ebay right now!

connecting an AVO meter across ANY circuit will not damage it as the resistance is so high.

A3-frankie said:
as S3ollie says just buy a resistor or maybe a few and try it until you get the right one.

Failing that take out the bulb ?

Audi dont know the resistance, Recaro refuse to tell me it, and i cant take the bulb out because its an LED soldered into the PCB behind the clocks (tried that first!)

A4Quattro - Didnt think of metering the airbag on the opposite side, thanks for that!

but as MO-S3 said i dont really want to be disconnecting things that i dont have to if you know what i mean, im quite scared of airbags!

Where is this one on ebay? ive been looking for the last few days

Thanks for the help though guys! :respekt:

As long as your ignition is off you shouldn't have a problem. in doubt disconnect the battery wait 5 minutes then remove the airbag plug and meter it, it won't go off, its not a bomb.

Stewart said:
If i can find my multimeter, I'll measure the resistance of mine as i have the aftermarket Recaros in my car..

Thanks mate :icon_thumright:

What aftermarket seats do you have, you got any pictures?

would you sell me the airbag unit or are you keeping it all??

Thanks A4quatto, i might have a go!

Well i had a go and my multimeter just read 0.01 ohms, i tried changing the range etc and got no results at all, tried taking the actual airbag out of the metal casing to test it and it just wouldnt come out so i un-plugged it under the seat and tested it at the plug

Pass airbag unit with no airbag inside
airbag_005_Small.jpg

I need the resistor to plug into here under the seat:
airbag_003_Small.jpg

airbag_004_Small.jpg

Are A3 and S3 airbags the same? i didnt know if it would fit in the recaro seats?? anyone know?
And yeah its the wrong side, but thanks anyway Mo-S3!

Sods law eh ... when ever you want something its usually the wrong one.
ETKA should be able to clarify part numbers for aibags
Have you tried the guy at AIRBAGSFORSALE.com ??

Thanks mate, nothing on the site but i gave the bloke an email!

Cheers for your help
Ash