Brake light problem..... (already searched - still need help)

a3tdiquattro

Reaction score
Hi there

Can anyone shed some light on what the plastic box is above the rear wheel arch (passenger side, behind the cover in the boot).

Basically the rear brake light (passenger side) went on Saturday, but can't pull the plastic housing out as it interferes with the said plastic box.

I was able to unclip the housing and angle it enough to get my fingers in, to remove the bottom bulb, after replacing it, it still doesn't work, so need to know what the box is before I remove it so I can clean the contacts etc...

I've not checked the fuses as the other brake light works! (I will check it though)

A3 Quattro TDi - facelift (51 plate)

Anyone replaced this bulb and find that it still doesn't work? Is there a know wiring problem?

Thanks very much.

No foam around it, I should have taken a photo really.

It's about 300mm long, rectangular, but follows the line of the wheel arch so tapers out towards the seats - on the back face closest to the light cluster it's got a circular vent (or what looks like a vent!)

Could it be an optional Sub, or something?

I've had a closer look at lunch and it seems there is a bracket between the sub (thanks for confirming that) and the light cluster which hopefully shouldn't be too much effort to remove.

I hope it is something simple like a corroded connection! If it is wiring I'll be annoyed!

Are there any known wiring problems? places to look for faults?

As it is only the rear brake light (passenger side) and not the rear light that is at fault is it likely to be a connection problem! Double eliment!!

Will be checking connection and fuse's, I'll also switch the bulbs to make sure the new one isn't faulty!!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Im getting the same... i checked my fuses and 2 seem to be blown, will get some tomm and re-check the brake light!

Is brake light out all the time or does it come and go ? When I first got mine I had similar problem, If yours comes and goes the next time it goes (warning light will show and anoying beep) apply brake pedal and wedge on then go to back and "give light cluster a slap!!!" if nothing will make you feel better... When mine did it this used to make bulb light up and error on dash clear,
I have since replaced bulb swaped the bulb holders over n/s to o/s made sure that the connectors in bulb holders made good concact with bulbs etc, I also removed both light clusters whilst replacing bumper and cleaned behind. Combination of all of these seems (touch wood) to have sorted out problem, If out all the time and you have tried the above the best advice I have is to take to good auto electrican.

Best of luck Houch

Thanks guys

Well I feel a bit of a tit!

Removed the bracket yesterday and was able to pull the light cluster out to see what was going on :icon_thumright:

Handy tip for you all! The bulbs are 'handed' so make sure you put it in the correct way :) i.e. the two pins that stick out of the main shaft are not at the same height. When trying to feed the bulb through the small gap I hadn't noticed this, so the bulb was not seated correctly!

All working fine now!!