a change?for all you S3 owners

campbell

Reaction score
has anyone thought about changing their S3 to an mitsubishi evo or a subaru etc or is it just me !??

dont get me wrong i love my S3, its quiet, fast, refined but like people have said before it doesnt thrill me as much as other cars could do .....

discuss....lol

:gaehn: they may be faster, not all that good to look at, and sound like uve just nicked it off the local chav.

Campbell totally agree with you. What i like about the S3 is that not everyone knows what it is, very discreet. But there is no excitement! On one hand i think i should follow Glens recommendations and upgrade the suspension and brakes but you are talking almost £3000 which you won't get back!

Been thinking about a M3, Evo or Scooby as i want to start doing track days again! I am not saying these are the right cars for track but i do think they are a step in the right direction IMO!

Looked at an evo before my S3 and chose the S3. test drove the evo etc. and I can't deny, it was a great drive. my mate also has one.

It was the tommi makinen edition I was thinking of buying.

The deciding factors were firslty they were quite raw. not very practical for town driving.

There is no leather.

The S3 is by absolute miles a more refined drive and nicer inside.

May want to consider the massive running costs, especially if your needing parts too !

Evos (particularly) and Subarus are absolutely hideous. Cheap, plastic and chavvy. If all you're interested in is speed (and people thinking you're a dickhead), then go ahead. Should not be uttered in the same breath as the S3.

I like M3s though :yes:

I owned an Impreza prior to the S3.
A great car in terms of character and handling/grip, as well as the flat four rumble which is hard to beat.
I had it for just over 2 years and enjoyed it immensley, but felt really embarrased to drive it in the last 6 months of ownership. Dont get me wrong, it was a great car, but the people who started to get hold of the early '93 models started to really tarnish the image, thus it had to go.

The Evo is really the car to have if you want out and out raw performance, great for weekends and track days, but not so great when it comes to day to day driving. Its too hard, and too in your face.

Whilst the S3 isn't any of the above (at the moment), it does give a really good mix with its ability to be 80% daily driver, whilst also 20% fun car when needed, especially when re-mapped.

I nearly looked to change my S3 a month or so back, an Impreza Sti could be had for 18k (18 months old), but the interior is so poor, the Evo is as bad, if not worse + high servicing, running costs.

The M3 was a real contender, but unless you have 24K to spend, which will get you a BMW used car with a years warranty. It seems to be dangerous terrority to enter without a warranty, due to the large mechanical bills that these cars seem to attract. Also bear in mind that the M3 for £24k, will also be around 2002 model, which is a lot of money for a 5 year old car.

Its a real headspin trying to find something you can drive/commute in every day, then get the family in at weekends, but still allowing a slight "loon factor" to creep in when its not work or family time !

24k is a lot of money to spend on an every day car, i agree on the mechanical costs of an m3, bmw really take the p*ss with ther prices.

MattS3 said:
Its a real headspin trying to find something you can drive/commute in every day, then get the family in at weekends, but still allowing a slight "loon factor" to creep in when its not work or family time !

Very well put Matt and sums up nicely my predicament as detailed in my thread "New car or not new car..."

I agree too. I do fancy a change but there's nothing like a polished black remapped S3 to put the smile back on my face.

Also just spent nearly a grand on cam belt, water pump, new springs, break pads, wiper blades and MOT. So I'm going to enjoy the S3 for at least another year I think.