Badger5JMB Retrofits

Thread: Help, What car?

Reverse Gear

Status

Help, What car?

Hi Guys,

Am just about to buy an A3 tomorrow, looking to spend around Ł5000.

I have come up with these two, cant post URLS as am new so here are the details, both on auto trader if ya want a look,

2002 51 Reg AUDI A3 1.6 SE
    3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 71,000 miles, Metallic Ming Blue. Suede interior, air conditioning, alloy wheels, remote locking, ABS, driver's airbag, passenger's airbag, alarm, electric windows, electric mirrors, service history, 12 MONTHS MOT AND PRE-DELIVERY INSPECTION, PART EXCHANGE WELCOME, FINANCE AND WARRANTY AVAILABLE, CREDIT CARDS ACCEPTED. Ł5,990.

2001 Y Reg AUDI A3 1.8 SE
    3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 89,000 miles, Blue, 2 Owners. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Alloy wheels, Climate Control, Computer, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Front armrest, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Radio/Cassette, Side airbags, Traction control, Air conditioning, Full service history. View our full stock at ** Ł5,490.

I prefer the 2002 car but am worried about the performance on a 1.6? Read a review that says ‘All bar the 1.6 provide smooth performance’. Would like to hear from anyone who has owned the 1.6? What’s it like overtaking etc? Anyone had both the 1.6 & 1.8 how do they compare? Mainly just use my car to and from work about 20mile a day around Chester but also travel up to Wales A55 a few times a month so anything that underperformed would just do my head in.

All comment welcome

Thanks Guys

Ash

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    You say you have 5k to spend but the 2 cars listed are over that.

I prefer the 1.8 out of the 2 but I think they are both underpowered, if fuel economy is your thing go for a diesel. I would go for for a 1.8T, you can get a 2000 for £5k with less miles than the 2 you suggested.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks steve,

Its 5K ish, always go over my budget and am sure i can get both of them down, that said cant go much over,

Am coming from a 98 306 1.6 which is now a right off, which I thourt was slightly underpowered but dont need that much more,

Other issue is im 21 so cant get anythink to powerfull with the insurance, would love a 1.8 T quattro but aint gonna happen,

6th Gear

Status
    compared to the engine in your 306 the 1.6 a3 would probably feel quickish

but it isnt, and they're quite awful on fuel. if it must be one of those two cars id get the 1.8

If i were you tho i'd keep looking you should easily be able to get a 1.8t or a 1.9tdi(110 ) for that, both are far superior cars.
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

3rd Gear

Status
    Get a quote for insurance. I am sure you can get insured on a 1.8T for a reaonable price unless the right off is your fault.

I would get the FWD 1.8T 2000 onwards but make sure it was a facelift (cupholder on dash). I had a pre-facelift one for 3.5 years and was very happy with it.

4th Gear

Status
    Make sure whichever one you go for has had a cambelt change including, water pump etc as that could cost you a few hundred pounds. Good luck

Reverse Gear

Status

Third option

Ok, Looking around im gonna add a 3rd option in

2000 W Reg AUDI A3 1.9 TDI SE 110BHP
    3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Diesel, 96,587 miles, Metalic Ming Blue, Full Service History, HPI Checked, 17 Inch Audi Alloy Wheels Just Fitted, Climate Control, Remote Central Locking, Front Electric Windows, Electric Mirrors, ABS, Traction Control, Power Steering, Drivers Airbag, Passenger Airbag, Alarm, Immobiliser,Front Centre Arm Rest, Velour Trim.This car is in Fantastic Condition inside and out and comes wth the Paul Southern Peace of Mind Package and is offered with Full Dealer Facilities, PX and Finance Available, 3 Months Parts and Labour Warranty, 12 Months MOT, Looks And Drives Superb, Ł5,295.

Am not a big diesel fan, how does it comapre to the other two?

Reverse Gear

Status

cambelt belt, water pump

Thanks for this, didnt think of it,

What millage should these of been done at?

I love gooooooooooooold

Status
    That diesel is actually very well speced and I would have that over the two above cars.

Like yourself I'm not a diesel fan either. Personally I would go 1.8T as the 1.6 and 1.8n/a I test drove were very gutless and it just didn't make sense to buy an A3 and then compromise on the engine.

6th Gear

Status
    Assuming its in as good nick as it says id go for the diesel, sticlk some facelift lights on it and bobs your uncle -

Best thing to do is to drive all 3 of the cars and see what you think, i can almost guarantee you'll want the tdi tho.

belt every 5 yrs or 60,000

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks Steve,

1.8 & 1.8T arnt to different on insurance but aint seen any that i like in my area + cant hang around for one as they are taking away my curtsey car on Wednesday

Reverse Gear

Status
    Found a 1.8T but 120k seems very high milage

2000 W Reg AUDI A3 1.8 T Sport
    3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 119,538 miles, Metallic Blue. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Computer, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Electrically adjustable seats, Head restraints, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Lumbar support, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Radio/CD, Side airbags, Rear headrests, Sports seats, alarm remote controlled, Climate Control Air Conditioning, Full service history. Insurance Group:14, £4,495 p/x to clear.

6th Gear

Status
    If it has been well looked after the mileage shouldnt be a worry, should have had at least 2 belt changes

Probably take it away for 4 grand, thats a grand to keep incase you ever need to do anything to it

Big Ron

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamond
    That diesel is actually very well speced and I would have that over the two above cars..
    Not really, most of the stuff listed is standard on the SE... incidently why are you going for the SE over the Sport?

Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi silver75

SE, Sport,
    Im not its just whats available near me right now,

Ash

Big Ron

Status
    Hi, mate dont rush it, unless you desperatly need a car right now I would hold out for a 1.8 T Sport the insurance wont be that bad surely

Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashstuff
    comes wth the Paul Southern Peace of Mind Package
    What's that???

Some sort of holistic healing treatment???
    S4.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smitch
    What's that???

Some sort of holistic healing treatment???
    Dont know, wonder if it also works for wiplash..........

Big Ron

Status
    I hate adds like that, just reading it again he has just listed everything that comes standard on the A3 SE the only extra are 17 inch wheels

Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashstuff
    Thanks Steve,

1.8 & 1.8T arnt to different on insurance but aint seen any that i like in my area + cant hang around for one as they are taking away my curtsey car on Wednesday
    I know what you mean it is awful without a car. Get a bus/train/taxi or buy a cheap run about. Just don't rush into the first one, drive a few.

Most garages won't let you drive it away same day as they need to put a fresh MOT on it and do a PDi.

2nd Gear

Status
    i wouldnt get the 1.6, purely down to the fact that alot of the 1.6 owners are getting less or about the same as alot of the s3 owners, its just the weight and an underpowered engine, personally i would get the tdi or 1.8t over the 1.6 or 1.8,
    why didnt i take the blue pill......

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks guys,

Your convinced me not to go for the 1.6 but cant quite stretch the extra 400 a year insurance for the turbo so its probably gona be a 1.8,

Will let you guys know,

Ash

6th Gear

Status
    Try the insurance for a 110 tdi, should be cheap enouhg it shte same group as the 1.6 i think

Run it for a year then buy a turbo

I love gooooooooooooold

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by silver75
    Not really, most of the stuff listed is standard on the SE... incidently why are you going for the SE over the Sport?
    But the SE doesn't come with the 17" alloys added to the diesel does it?

hud at ye bam

Status
    I'd go for a 1.8T if you can. And I'd also look further afield than your local area - sure, it adds a couple of rail fares to the price of the car, but it gives you a lot more choice and you'll probably save money by getting a cheaper car from somewhere else.

If not the 1.8T, then the diesel. I'd have to be pretty hard pushed to consider the 1.8 or the 1.6.
    [/sarcasm]

Big Ron

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamond
    But the SE doesn't come with the 17" alloys added to the diesel does it?

Quote Originally Posted by silver75
    I hate adds like that, just reading it again he has just listed everything that comes standard on the A3 SE the only extra are 17 inch wheels

Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

2nd Gear

Status
    im 21 mate and ive got a remapped 1.8T Sport. my insurance is only Ł1200 a year fully comp thru Direct Line.

You should definitely justify spending a little extra to get a turbo, ull be disappointed and pissed off you didnt get one in the first place, trust me (i already did that one)
    A4 B7 2.0 TDi S-Line Special Edition Gloss Red, BOSE, 18" Black RS4s, Black / Grey Leather, Sat Nav

Neutral

Status
    i was insured on my S3 for under 2K when i was 21

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by trogen
    i was insured on my S3 for under 2K when i was 21

i payed under Ł900 on my s3 when i 1st got it @21 hmm maybe i had had just turned 22,
    why didnt i take the blue pill......

2nd Gear

Status
    Look what i found on a forum i use.

Might be ur ideal car. drop me a pm and i can find out more for u

http://www.sm-motorsport.co.uk/forum...topic.php?t=50

Garry

Reverse Gear

Status

Bought me car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys,

Goto me one on Saturday,

1.8 SE, 2001, 89k, dark blue, fsh, Ł5000,

No turbo but dont give a ****, loved it a soon as i drove it and comming from a 1.6 306 it fast enough for me.........

Just cant wait to get it, taking in up to northwales A55 on sat then back home on the A5 on Sunday to a decent spin, cant wait……

4th Gear

Status
    03 A3 (8L) TDi quattro Sport, Aluminium Silver with leather, armrest, cruise, xenons and me at the wheel

2nd Gear

Status
    you ask for advice then dont take it? lol

well you will regret not getting a turbo, i can bet money on it haha
    A4 B7 2.0 TDi S-Line Special Edition Gloss Red, BOSE, 18" Black RS4s, Black / Grey Leather, Sat Nav

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hey,

No pics till next week, will take a few on the A5 this weekend (don’t get it till Saturday),

Ye I know but right time, right price, right place, don’t think I’ll regret it has I like what I got, will prob got for something more powerful next time just not till I got a few more years on the insurances.

Swaying towards IHI....

Status
    Should of got the turbo is all i can say......
    A3 1.8TS
    K03S,Pro Alloy FMIC, Neuspeed TIP, Forge 007P,Jabba Stage 2, BMC CDA, Turbo Back Miltek,H&R Cup Kit,H&R Arb's,18" Cup 3's Wrapped in Parada Spec 2's, Facelifted, 10k Hids, Dewipered, Debadged,S3 Interior, S3 Rear bumper, S4 Front bumper, Brembo's, Momo Team, LCR Splitter.

Big Ron

Status
    depends what he is looking for in a car if he is going to do performance mods then an NA car wont be much use... but from what I have read he is looking for a car to commute in. He got the facelift car aswell but i would have held out for at least a sport

Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05