smoke / steam

pure

Reaction score
Ive done 4000 miles in my s3 now, i know it is normal for a car to have "steam" comming from the exaust, esp on the cold mornings...but is it normal for the steam to be there even when ther car is hot, talking after 1 hour of motorway driving, pull up...and steam comes out the exaust.

Is this normal? Am I just being paranoid? Smells very petrolly too.

Well based on your description it sounds perfectly normal remember it may not be actual steam from the exhaust but steam created when the hot exhaust gasses hit the cold ambient air. So bearing that in mind you'll probably agree it's normal.

yer course along with everyone else on the road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Only if its blue smoke would it be a problem indicating i belive oil being burnt .. but thats just iirc !

Phil

Remember its a Turbo charged car, so the exhaust gases operate at a much higher temperature, hence the steam from the exhaust. It sounds perfectly normal.

[ QUOTE ]
Pheedbak said:
yer course along with everyone else on the road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Only if its blue smoke would it be a problem indicating i belive oil being burnt .. but thats just iirc !

Phil

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct pheedbak,

Blue smoke = Oil
White smoke = Fuel
Black smoke = /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif you drive a diesel!

cool, cheers for the replies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif