WHAT EXHAUST SHOULD I BUY

rich-s3

Reaction score
can anyone recomend a good performance exhaust with sports cat that doesn't cost the earth

rich-s3 said:
can anyone recomend a good performance exhaust with sports cat that doesn't cost the earth

Yeah, the standard one!

You'll not get a gain from an aftermarket exhaust...1-2 BHP if you are lucky on an optimistic dyno.

As for the sports cats, the biggest waste of money I found on a standard or mildly re-mapped S3.
They just don't do what the makers claim.

On very highly strung cars, or BT conversions...fair enough.
But on a standard-ish S3, they just don't add anything as the standard cats are pretty efficient.

In my view, save your money and buy something that will give you a gain.

good advice ess three, 500 quid a little gain, a remap is the best value in my opinion if you havent allready got one...

Of course, remap is the best value. But after that (talking about the A3) a free exhaust gives an extra punch on 3rd and 4th gear at high rpms, very noticeable. I have the cutout valve linked above, have run a 1/4 mile vs a Seat Leon(180bhp+remap=210bhp) and he won by 1.5 lengths; then we run again but me with the opened valve and I won by 1/2 length. I have had similar tests with other cars too, leading me to the conclusion that a free exhaust gives 2 lengths more in a 1/4 mile. Now, that is with an aftermarket DP (2.5”), if it had been with a stock DP(2.0) the difference would have been even more than 2 lengths. The cutout valve bypasses the cat, resonator and muffler.

I've just fitted a remus backbox to mine as its the most factory like in design, rather than a universal box with bends all over the place to get the tailpipes to fit the bumper cut out. It was also offered as a dealer option in europe. Sound wise its very quiet but does get a little louder when hot, the tone is very deep. Personally i'd like it to be a little louder so plan to have a CAT back to backbox section (no middle box) made by Pipewerx at a later date.

thanks for your advice i think i will stick with the standard one unless it falls off
remap it is