what is the best suspension for my s3

rich-s3

Reaction score
I have got a 2000 model s3 and i want to change suspension to lower the ride hight by around 40mm but i don't want it to be any stiffer than standard, can anyone recomend any kits?

rich-s3 said:
I have got a 2000 model s3 and i want to change suspension to lower the ride hight by around 40mm but i don't want it to be any stiffer than standard, can anyone recomend any kits?

If you lower it 40mm and don't go quite a lot stiffer you'll rip your sump off at some point. Mine was buffed at a 20-25mm drop.

Going lower (40mm) WILL ****** up the handling completely...

And the S3 is truly awful on standard suspension as it is...why on earth you'd want to lower it 40mm and not uprate to something at least half capable is a strange choice.

Ess_Three said:
If you lower it 40mm and don't go quite a lot stiffer you'll rip your sump off at some point. Mine was buffed at a 20-25mm drop.

Going lower (40mm) WILL ****** up the handling completely...

And the S3 is truly awful on standard suspension as it is...why on earth you'd want to lower it 40mm and not uprate to something at least half capable is a strange choice.

I think awful is a little harsh. They are a cracking little motor, and due a little respect.

Aky said:
I think awful is a little harsh. They are a cracking little motor, and due a little respect.

I can only suspect that you've never driven cars with proper suspension control, before you'd make a comment like that.

The S3 understeers everywhere, wallows on fast corners, is unstable under heavy braking, unstable on roundabouts under power (ESP all over the place as a result) and wears it's dampers out in under 6000 miles from new.

That's afwul in my book.

Not befitting a car that cost nearly £30k when new.

what suspension mods have you done ess3?

Ess_Three said:
I can only suspect that you've never driven cars with proper suspension control, before you'd make a comment like that.

The S3 understeers everywhere, wallows on fast corners, is unstable under heavy braking, unstable on roundabouts under power (ESP all over the place as a result) and wears it's dampers out in under 6000 miles from new.

That's afwul in my book.

Not befitting a car that cost nearly £30k when new.

So in that case why did you buy the car in the first place? I'm not saying its the best setup in the world, but like above its due some respect.

As for only suspecting that I haven't driven cars with proper suspension control :wtf:

I think i'll feel free to ignore most things you say...........

i have driven cars in past with coil overs on and the were on the softest setting and they were still way too stiff for road use, i found softer suspention to be better.
my s3 does understeer a fair amount but if you just dab the brake with your left foot in mid corner it completely cuts that out and also stops the esp cutting in. also good fun

rich-s3 said:
my s3 does understeer a fair amount but if you just dab the brake with your left foot in mid corner it completely cuts that out and also stops the esp cutting in. also good fun

Not good driving technique! Careful how you do it, and don't do it if someone's following you closely!

In answer to your original question, the H&R/Billy combo is regarded by most as the best suspension for the S3. I wou;dn't bother with coilovers TBH. I have them and wouldn't go that way again. a 30-35mm drop on a n S3 is about as far as I'd go too. Any lower and you can't run a decent geometry and run 10mm spacers without scruffing.

Oh, Aky. I had the opportunity to get back into an unmodified S3 last week. First time driving standard suspension for a long time. Completely horrible! So glad I upgraded. Not bad if you know no better, but utterly useless in comparison to a well set-up car. I'm with Glen on this one!

Aky said:

Have you not read Ess Three's Star Perfomance thread under the sticky threads section????

I'd say he probably just about knows his way round an S3.......

Aky said:
So in that case why did you buy the car in the first place?

Because I fancied one.
What's it got to do with you, anyway?

As it happens, I like a challenge and wanted to prove you could turn a understeering, ill-handling, wallowy S3 into something that would run with the Evos and STIs and even outclass them in some areas.

I'm not saying its the best setup in the world, but like above its due some respect.

I'm pleased you aren't saying it's the best in the world, as it's plainly not.
But my comments stand,...in my view, compared to other cars I've owned, it's verging on dangerous.

Maybe you don't drive like I do, so don't notice it?

As for only suspecting that I haven't driven cars with proper suspension control :wtf:

Well, if you had a history of cars that handle properly, I can't see how you'd come to any other conclusion other than the fact that the S3 standard is **** poor...and compared to the speed potential of the car, almost dangerous.

That's Ok...
I've been mostly ignoring your inane drivell since you joined.

Thanks for the kind words folks...
But I don't think I'm right all the time...if some people choose to think I'm talking crap...that's fine. I'll not loose sleep over it.

There are several ways of making an S3 handle...and different methods appeal to different driving styles.
All I can say is that the set up I had was brilliant...it made the S3 a VERY capable car...
Just sadly, not edgy enough for my liking...it was almost too good...faster than you've ever gone before with complete composure....it didn't make the hairs on my neck stand on end...hence I sold it and bought something that did.
I miss the S3 though...it was a great car in it's final form.
And mine was very far from a big cheque book car...with much of the work done by me, on the cheap.

I've not driven an S3 yet so can't comment on that, but as far as supercars go, the porka isn't the best handling of them all is it?!...:ohmy:

TRS1 said:
I've not driven an S3 yet so can't comment on that, but as far as supercars go, the porka isn't the best handling of them all is it?!...:ohmy:

My C4S is the most rewarding car I've ever driven...and the fastest point to point, whan you get keyed into how to drive it.
It took me 2 years to get keyed in.
The 1st year if frightened me. A lot.

My tweaked S3 was almost as quick at sub 100 MPH speeds..but not rewarding in any way.

I don't think you'd find much that's faster over 100 miles of Highland roads, all weathers, than a C4S.
The Evos come close...as do some STIs...but you can murder them on the brakes!

ChriS3 said:
Not good driving technique! Careful how you do it, and don't do it if someone's following you closely!

Its pretty common technique for tightening your line if your overtaking on the track (diving down the inside) or overcooked it defending the line. Can't think why you'd use this on the public road tho'.

leecs3 said:
Its pretty common technique for tightening your line if your overtaking on the track (diving down the inside) or overcooked it defending the line. Can't think why you'd use this on the public road tho'.

Track is fine, but public roads?

******!
It only helps mask the ****** chassis....
Sort the chassis and you don't need it.

2 ways of addressing the same problem...either sort the chassis organically (revised suspension) or use electronics to send torque to the rear to get similar understeer reducing results.

Although, both reduce understeer, in my humble opinion, one will give superior body control at the edges of grip...a Haldex controller can assist balance and kill understeer...but it can't add grip.

You pays your money, and takes your choice...

Ess_Three said:
My C4S is the most rewarding car I've ever driven...and the fastest point to point, whan you get keyed into how to drive it.

My tweaked S3 was almost as quick at sub 100 MPH speeds..but not rewarding in any way.

I don't think you'd find much that's faster over 100 miles of Highland roads, all weathers, than a C4S.

Don't get me wrong, a GT3 would be one of my dream cars, but that whole engine over the rear wheels thing is just wrong! :)

How about a Gallardo for the 100 mile Highland challenge?

Ess_Three said:
******!
It only helps mask the ****** chassis....
Sort the chassis and you don't need it.

2 ways of addressing the same problem...either sort the chassis organically (revised suspension) or use electronics to send torque to the rear to get similar understeer reducing results.

Although, both reduce understeer, in my humble opinion, one will give superior body control at the edges of grip...a Haldex controller can assist balance and kill understeer...but it can't add grip.

You pays your money, and takes your choice...

Fool!!!

The ideal way of doing it is to optimise the chassis as best you can through revised suspension etc., then add the Haldex controller. Best of both worlds :)

ChriS3 said:

Ha!

The ideal way of doing it is to optimise the chassis as best you can through revised suspension etc., then add the Haldex controller. Best of both worlds :)

Just like you did eh?
:moa:

Optimise the chassis, yes...but with a truly aggressive (as mine was) I never felt I needed any more rear drive.
Maybe I'm more used to FWD type characteristics...

But, as you say, sort the chassis first, then add the Haldex controller...and you end up with a very good set up that required less aggressive driving to get the same results as the chassis only mods.

TRS1 said:
Don't get me wrong, a GT3 would be one of my dream cars, but that whole engine over the rear wheels thing is just wrong! :)

It's not though...
It's weight over the rear axle when you need it...on full power out of corners.
Also, a 911 goes 50:50 weight distribution under very hard braking...which is why nothing brakes like a 911.

Once you get into the way of driving one...nothing feels like it.
That's not to say nothing feels better...as I'm sure some do...just nothing feels the same.

The feeling of leaning on the brakes really hard to get the nose to bite, clip the apex and mash the throttle open as you feel the rear dig in and drive you out of the corner...Magic!

How about a Gallardo for the 100 mile Highland challenge?

I've never had the pleasure...but I'd guess they are harder and less chuckable.
Thay are also pretty wide enough for some of the smaller roads...if anyone wants to lend me one to try, I'll give a better view however. Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

Ess_Three said:

Cut out the all weather option and I may take up the challenge Glen

I think its the engine hanging out the back of the Porker that makes it so hard to get used to, I had a 997 C4S for a long week end, and to say I was disappointed was an understatement it felt awful, so I am not sure I would want to get used to that. When I drove a Gallardo (just for one day) it felt so much more natural to push it hard and enjoy it. Since both of those experiences I have spoken to a few 911 owners and most have attmitted that it takes a long time to get used to driving a 911 fast. I did not get used to it in a week end and have never been in one that is being driven by someone who is used to it so unfrotunatly I do not see what all the fuss is about and tbh I would rather be in my slightly modified S3 on 99% of roads over a standard 911. Then again I would take the Gallardo over ANYTHING - I loved every second

S3 AD said:
I think its the engine hanging out the back of the Porker that makes it so hard to get used to, I had a 997 C4S for a long week end, and to say I was disappointed was an understatement it felt awful, so I am not sure I would want to get used to that. When I drove a Gallardo (just for one day) it felt so much more natural to push it hard and enjoy it. Since both of those experiences I have spoken to a few 911 owners and most have attmitted that it takes a long time to get used to driving a 911 fast. I did not get used to it in a week end and have never been in one that is being driven by someone who is used to it so unfrotunatly I do not see what all the fuss is about and tbh I would rather be in my slightly modified S3 on 99% of roads over a standard 911. Then again I would take the Gallardo over ANYTHING - I loved every second

I guess it depends on what you want...
I could drive my S3 faster than ever before, and get out bored.
I get the hairs on my neck standing on end just taking the C4S out of the garage...

It's not about the speed for me...but the effort vs reward.
The S3 took no effort but offered little by way of reward.
The C4S is a hard car to drive...you need to completely re-calibrate your driving style after the S3...but put the effort in and you end up with a car that keys into your nervous system...and you get a rewarding drive like no other.

In the dry, it's brilliant...
In the wet it's simply devastating...

Having borrowed a 997 C2S lately...the C4S is on a whole new level in the wet...sublime.

Some people just can't adapt to the steering tugging and pulling all the time, and the front bobbing about all the time.
Apparently it's called feedback...and coming from an Audi which was devoid of such feelings, it took me a long time to get used to what it's telling you.

The engine hung out back isn't a hindrance whan you learn to work it to your advantage...slow in, fast out...
Just don't lift off mid corner.

The 911 is also a physical car to drive...the newer the car, the less do...but physical none the less.
I have spent many days driving deep in the Highlands with David R, and I'll get out hot and sweaty of back...he'll get out of his 993 purple of chops, wobbly of leg and soaked in sweat...that (the 993) it a very physical car to drive.
He makes me tired watching him when I'm sitting in the passenger seat...
But I have high admiration I have for anyone who can make a 911 dance like that!

The trouble is...after a 911...most other cars seem lacking in feeling.
They seem numb and effortless to drive...maybe a good thing, maybe a bad thing.
It's all about what you want from a car, I guess.

So what do you think of the new 4WD 911's?

(This thread has been officially hijacked! :) )

I love 'em...or I wouldn't have one.
I've not driven a 997 C4S yet...but am led to believe it's got the grip mine had, with the ease of driving that the 997 has.
Sounds unbeatable to me.

It just doesn't look as good in my eyes though....certainly not enough to make me want to change to one.

Sorry, I did mean the new one that was on topgear a couple of weeks ago.
My work mate used to work for Mclaren and now preps track day cars for people in his spare time. His mate has just got a new GT3 RS and I'm hoping to go a spin in it soon as he regularly brings his cars to work.

Aky said:

lol, no they ******* aren't. They are absolutely awful as stock. If you'd ever driven anything half decent you would agree. A "cracking little motor" is a clio 182.

S3's only become a cracking little motor once you sort the chassis out.

leave1 said:
lol, no they ******* aren't. They are absolutely awful as stock. If you'd ever driven anything half decent you would agree. A "cracking little motor" is a clio 182.

S3's only become a cracking little motor once you sort the chassis out.

At least I'm not alone in thinking the S3 is awful as standard (the suspension, that is...)

The Clio 172/182 is a complete hoot!
Brilliant chassis...
I was dissapointed with the engine though...it felt weak. It's not...but just feels it.

The Integra Type-R another cracker...

TRS1 said:
Sorry, I did mean the new one that was on topgear a couple of weeks ago.
My work mate used to work for Mclaren and now preps track day cars for people in his spare time. His mate has just got a new GT3 RS and I'm hoping to go a spin in it soon as he regularly brings his cars to work.

Ooh...RS! Hardcore...
Fair weather car only though...

That 997 C2S I had was a handful in the wet, with less power, and stability management.
Mine was noticably faster on wet, slippy roads.

Different story on a hot day, on a smooth road though I'll bet.

But where I live there aren't too many smooth roads...and it's wet most of the time...so C4S it is!

Ess_Three said:
No problem...let's go... :p

If you still go down to Knockhill our paths may cross :p, warm weather only for me though I'm afraid, I'm governed by road legal slicks and no roof

Since when was Knockhill in the Highlands?
...and when was it re-classified as a road?

Warm weather...really!!

Real men go out in the cold too:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'll bet your cut slicks and lack of roof would make for a cold, ***-puckering run!

Since I've never had the pleasure of a blast in one of those beasties, if you should fancy some company for a lap...give me a shout and I'll hot foot it down, helmet, gloves and fleesy equipped. :)

Glen is that The Lecht (nice day):cold:

Not sure of the road name but the road from The Lecht to Huntley is a great road. Must of drove it about 20 times. Was working up there in the new Tesco last winter when we had the bad snow. One night, well 4 in the morning it took us 4 hours to drive from Aberdeen to Dundee on the A9 as the other road was closed, total white out and 4" of snow not so fun.

A few days later going back up

Yeah, that's the Lecht, all right!

We often go up over the Lecht, then Dufftown, Aberlour, Huntly then back down towards Aberdeen.
A great set of roads...