Paint my facelift headlights?

Dennis Moeller

Reaction score
Hi folks...can I paint these headlamps black as you can see in this picture?

Meaning; will the headlights loose somewhat in effect? Will it be a poorer light after modding?

I doubt it will be a poorer light by much, it will affect it slightly as Black absorbs light but it wont be much. The TT has a black headlight interior.

As you'll see in the modified pic none of the reflectors or lenses will be painted - only the chrome surroundings

This mod is - imo - the coolest mod one could do with the "original" facelift units, but obviously I wanna have my lights on full power if possible too

thx for answering!!

would look good with a dechromed grill post pics up when its done :)

silver75 said:
would look good with a dechromed grill post pics up when its done :)

Agreed, i think it would look pretty cool.

definately going to black out the grill. Will do as soon as the mod on the headlights are finished. Going to unmount the bumper and cut out some of the vings anyway. Then I can work on the whole front; black out the grill, paint the headlights ( matt or shiny black paint?) and modify the lower part of the bumper (the unpainted stuff). Going to cut out some plastic and glue in some "RS4-Waffen" metal!

Going to look like somewhat like this (very quick mod in PS):

Again thx for the replies...this forum :rockwoot:

I'd say shiny gloss black in my opinon, it will absorb less light and look better IMO

OEM B6 S4 and 8P A3s have matt black and looks cool enough

hehe...that would be sweet.

Think I will go for glossy cause of the better (??) reflection of the light...

Also for the blackout grille...Matt or Glossy?

The grille matt definiately.
I may try this as well, humbrol do some excellent gloss black paints and they adhere well to plastic.

I'm gonna sand it down some and then I have some matt black on a spray I used recently...Think I'm gonna use that, but thx for the tip!!

Hopefully I'll get the headlight from the Wurz land before the weekend so I can begin the project...always fun to do these small mods!

Also I'm just waiting for the damned snow to melt and springtime to arrive. I have no garage and it's a pain in the *** with the amount of snow that just avalanches down from the skies. Live in Norway. Cold. And a LOT of snow :cold:

Got the headligths from ze wurz land today...the front-"glass" is not glass -
it's plastic...WTF? Must be a nightmare to keep clean and free from scratches?!
Besides the whole deal spraying the inside black has just been flushed out in the toilet...too big a risk when the damned thing is plastic IMO + the whole lamp is glued/bonded together like it were to be send to Mars or something :wtf:

Well standard facelift and black out grille...will do it for now!

dammit! I was looking forward to seeing what that looked like.
But daft making them bonded together but then again its probably cheaper than designing ones that come apart as they would have to also design an adequate seal. My old Toyota Supra had headlights you could disassemble. Modern cars are too penny pinching!

yeah I already had them painted, assembled and mounted in my dreams - too bad!:sorry:

thank for an excellent guide...I might do it afterall. It really looked so so good on the black S3.