S3 225hp or new A3 3.2 V6 250 hp????

celso

Reaction score
Hello , some weeks ago i had an accident , and when i called audi to know how much i had to pay to get it fixed damn 15.000 euros .... so i dont know if i should get it fixed and if i do it will be the same car (it had the crash in the lower part of the car in the chasis,i think the carter the 4 wheels broke etc) so i thought in changing it for another S3 or buy the new a3 3.2...since i dont really know much about cars i will like an advice.
thx a lot

Just had a test drive of the new V6, first impressions are very good, the engine sounds great, reminiscient of my old VR6, instant response with no turbo lag and it pulls like a steam train. The car handle quite well and compared to the S3 the brakes are tremendous. In terms of outright performance, I dont think there is much in it. The one area where the new car falls down badly compared to the old S3 is the interior, the seats are not Recaros and personally I did not find them as supportive or comfortable. Also "retro" design may be the in thing today, but I felt that the S3 dash and interior is better finished and has a nicer layout (personal preference). S3 also has nicer alloys, again personal preference

Difficult call to make, but as my local dealer is convinced there is another higher performance version planned ,be it S3 or RS3, I reckon I might just wait to see what comes along!

Er there will be no lad because its not turbocharged and its got the electronic accelerator which adds to responsivness. However totally agree on "Steam Train" and noise.

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:

My advice is wait for the new S3, if they make one. And with any luck, Audi will have read the comments on this site and will rectify the handling and steering.

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at the Audi Forum in Ingolstadt in October, and said to the tour guide "I'm hearing rumours that there will be no S3 anymore, just the A3 V6Q and an RS3 in a few years, with a bi-turbo 3.2V6 or something."

His response (with a cheeky grin) was "I cannot confirm but your rumours sound very good." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Without forced induction, the only thing you could do to make an S3 better then an A3 V6Q would be to sort out the seats and suspension... but it wouldn't go much faster...

[ QUOTE ]
DaveA3Turbo said:
and its got the electronic accelerator which adds to responsivness.
Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Dave, but that's ******.
The Drive-by-wire actually kills throttle response as it will only open at the rate the ECU decides in relation to pedal inclination, not directly proportional to pedal inclination as in a normal car.

It's also tied into the ESP so the ECU can take power away when you don't want it to..and there's nothing you can do about it...except run with the ESP off.

As for the new A3 on the whole...a very nice car. But not for me.
If I'm paying that sort of cash for a top of the range car, I want it to look like a top of the range...not a lower trim level 1.6 / diesel with fancy wheels.
If / when an 'S' becomes available with all the accepted 'S' additions like the Recaros, bigger wheels, preferably bigger arches etc I'll have a serious look at one...but at the moment, although it's a nice car...it's a bland car and has no distinguishing features that are likely to prise the cash out of me for one.

The build quality is evidently great...I also find the interior of the 'old' generation cars a much more cohesive design...but the new A3 will probably grow on me...but outside, although the car is nice, it's bland.

Come to think of it...Audi are starting to loose their way a bit on affordable performance cars that actually look a bit different, in my opinion. Sad.

Aren't the new ones slower and heavier? Certainly the case for the TT. The 1.8 225 is a better car than the new 250.

According to the stats the V6 TT is 0.2 seconds quicker to 60Mph than the S3 due to the DSG box.

Totally disagree.

The 3.2TT takes seconds out of a standard 1.8T TT. Some of it is down to the extra power and some of it due to the DSG.

It will be interesting when the manual 3.2TT hits the streets to see how it compares.

p.s. yes I have tracked both the above as well as my modified 1.8T.

I'm sorry, it may be 250BHP standard, but thats it ladies and gentelmen, apart from maybe squeezing 4-5bhp by using an extremely expensive zaust, hi-flow cats and airfilter. Any further improvements would take rakes of cash. But the old blown S3, throw a chip at it (500quid) and you smokin the new yin. A car with nae turbo via a car with one? Nah.

well i had this predicament just before xmas, i decided to get one of the last unregitered S3. Having driven both i personally felt the S3 had more going for it....No doubt the V6 is a fantastic car but the S3 has the edge in all areas.

Im totally happy with the S3, having the option of a chip is great to even though im not im any way board with its performance.

Damo

I has exactly the same choice as Damo and also went for the S3. Good choice until the new S3 comes out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif