Buying used S3's with MTM conversions etc?

S

S3IZZO

I've noticed and have been told that S3's with MTM/IHI conversions etc do not tend to sell easily, is there any particular reason for this or is it just down to the fact that most people don't want a car that has been modified to this extreme?

There are a few floating around for sale at the moment and I must say they look extremely good value for what you're getting!

How much would this sort of conversion cost (including fitting) to a near standard S3? - Including things like big brake conversion etc...surely the figures must run into the xx,xxx's?

As a potential buyer, you have to consider why would someone do this to their car? With an extra 100bhp they aren't going to drive like Miss Daisy are they!

It is always better to strip a car of any mods - if possible - and sell the car as 'standard' and the mods separately. I appreciate you can't do this with an engine conversion.

If you were going to do it anyway, then yes, you can get a bargain as the seller never gets the cost of the mods back come sale time. Otherwise just be wary that more power means higher running costs and more things are likely to break.

The conversion on mine, which was done prior to me buying it, cost the guy in excess of £12k.

I understand why people can be put off, but I would also take into account the fact that if you've got that kind of money available, you're more likely to be able to keep the car regularly serviced and replace any consumables when necessary.

If I didn't already have my Noggy S3, I'd have bought yours, Hamski. Great car - shame I don't have the readies immediately available to buy yours and sell mine as I'm in the process of setting up my own business so money is tight.

hamski said:
The conversion on mine, which was done prior to me buying it, cost the guy in excess of £12k.

I understand why people can be put off, but I would also take into account the fact that if you've got that kind of money available, you're more likely to be able to keep the car regularly serviced and replace any consumables when necessary.

Ah ha, I have been looking at yours on PistonHeads, it's a very very nice car and I am looking around for one, just a bit worried that they don't seem to shift quickly so still thinking about buying a standard car and paying for the conversion myself.

S3IZZO said:
... still thinking about buying a standard car and paying for the conversion myself.

If you are going to get the conversion done anyway, why not buy a pre-converted one? Otherwise you are just kissing goodbye to £5000 that you'll never get back.

im thinking of selling mine it,s got everthin on it,the reasons i want to sell are1 because im banned 2 because i don,t know if i will ever stop spending on it3 my insurance will be steep and it would be cheaper if i had a standard car if anyones interested i could post full spec and email pics if you pm me your email.

hamski said:

I'd have to agree with this, anyone that's spent that kind of money will hopefully want to keep what they've paid for in the best condition they can. Although I drive mine pretty hard I don't thrash it. Don't need to. And I have the oil changed every 3000 miles. It gets a lot more TLC since the conversion.

Saying that, I saw someone with an MTM S3 at Crail last year. He had no clue about what he'd bought, but was content to thrash the nuts off it all day. I don't expect it was being looked after in the same way.

I made the conscious decision to buy a modded one. I'd had a standard S3 before and always felt that I wanted a bit more. I'd either have settled for a remap (which I would have had done myself) or a conversion.

I'm picking up an RS4 today and still have doubts about selling the S3.