Headlamp washer jets

Slick S3

Reaction score
My headlamp washer jets do not appear to be working. i know that they can only work when the headlights are switched on and even though the windscreen washer jets spray water on the windscreen the headlight ones do not. neither of them.
i've only had the car a couple of months and would like to know if anyone else has this problem or is there something i'm not doing right!
Do all S3's have the headlmp washer jets.
Mine does have the slots on the bumpers. one looks pretty stiff and the other when lightly poked moves a couple of millimetres....ie to squirt water with i guess.
any ideas.:haudrauf:

You have to have the headlights on AND spray water for a second or two before the headlight washers pop up. Maybe you're not holding the lever long enough?

The washers are held in place quite strongly, but you should be able to lift them up with your fingers or use a flat screwdriver to prise them up.

Yep, need to squirt for a few seconds.

They operate on the water pressure from the washer pump overcoming a spring in the washer. If there is insufficient pressure from the pump then this won't overcome the spring. I think they can also just get gummed up from road grime if they haven't been used for ages.

I know that you are supposed to use a certain type of washer additive and not any old cheap stuff to avoid the system getting blocked. The fine mesh gauze on the washer bottle filler is also designed to stop the system getting blocked up.